Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty Mix and Re-potting Kumquat questions

Posted by TheStar MA / NH (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 12:26

Hello all, I'm New to the forum and I have already found tons of useful information. Which is leading to a lot of questions/confusion. I have read a lot about Tapla's Gritty Mix and I'm about to start moving my container plants into it and I have some questions.
I have a Kumquat tree that has been on a steady decline for the past few months. At this point, it has lost all its leaves. About a month ago, I tried adding fertilizer sticks (no luck) and 2 weeks ago I added grow lights. The light has always been sufficient but I wasn't sure what else to do. It is still not showing any signs of life/improvement.

Now I have come across Tapla's Gritty Mix. This is a new twist to my whole container gardening experience. I'm really excited to start moving all my plants into the Gritty Mix and I have some questions.

1) Is it worth replanting the Kumquat in the Gritty Mix? Is the the Gritty Mix the right Mix or is the 5-1-1 better? It has no leaves at all but I'm not sure how to tell if it is completely dead.

2) I haven't had any luck finding the Pine Bark Fines or the Turface locally. I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, and a local gardening store. I did find the below website that has both the Turface and Pine Bark Fines. Turface Standard Bag $26.00 2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag.

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Turface.html

They also have these Bark Fines, but again I am not sure about the price and if they are the correct size/product.
Small Orchiata Monterey Bark Standard Bag $28.40
2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Monterey-Pine-Bark-Small.html

Combined Shipping is an additional $19.

Basically $74 total. Is the price reasonable for this quantity?

Otherwise, any recommendations on where I can buy the Turface and Pine Bark Fines in the Merrimack Valley area?

3) Lastly, I also have a couple of Snake Plants in 4" containers that I want to move into the Gritty Mix. Is there a rule of thumb for container size I should move into? I was thinking I should at least double it.

Thank you for your help and all the helpful information.Hello all, I'm New to the forum and I have already found tons of useful information. Which is leading to a lot of questions/confusion. I have read a lot about Tapla's Gritty Mix and I'm about to start moving my container plants into it and I have some questions.
I have a Kumquat tree that has been on a steady decline for the past few months. At this point, it has lost all its leaves. About a month ago, I tried adding fertilizer sticks (no luck) and 2 weeks ago I added grow lights. The light has always been sufficient but I wasn't sure what else to do. It is still not showing any signs of life/improvement.

Now I have come across Tapla's Gritty Mix. This is a new twist to my whole container gardening experience. I'm really excited to start moving all my plants into the Gritty Mix and I have some questions.

1) Is it worth replanting the Kumquat in the Gritty Mix? Is the the Gritty Mix the right Mix or is the 5-1-1 better? It has no leaves at all but I'm not sure how to tell if it is completely dead.

2) I haven't had any luck finding the Pine Bark Fines or the Turface locally. I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, and a local gardening store. I did find the below website that has both the Turface and Pine Bark Fines. Turface Standard Bag $26.00 2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag.

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Turface.html

They also have these Bark Fines, but again I am not sure about the price and if they are the correct size/product.
Small Orchiata Monterey Bark Standard Bag $28.40
2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Monterey-Pine-Bark-Small.html

Combined Shipping is an additional $19.

Basically $74 total. Is the price reasonable for this quantity?

Otherwise, any recommendations on where I can buy the Turface and Pine Bark Fines in the Merrimack Valley area?

3) Lastly, I also have a couple of Snake Plants in 4" containers that I want to move into the Gritty Mix. Is there a rule of thumb for container size I should move into? I was thinking I should at least double it.

Thank you for your help and all the useful information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty Mix and Re-potting Kumquat questions

Sorry if this is a double Post. I originally posted to Gallery, but I am not sure if it shows up in both?

o

Re-potting a leafless Citrus in the dead of Winter is not something I'll recommend.
It might be better to deal with the soil it's in, and work on revitalizing the plants
before shocking it further. Spring is an optimum time to re-pot most Citrus plants.

Sansevieria will absolutely thrive in a Gritty Mix, but you'll need to water and fertilize
more regularly. If you can post a pic here, pot-size recommendations will be easier.

Josh

o

Another question...

Just found Turface Athletics Pro League Heritage Red at a local John Deere. This was the only Turface they had in stock. Will this work in the Gritty Mix?

o

Josh, Thank you for the feedback. Do you have any recommendations for what I can do to revitalize the Kumquat Tree until Spring?

o

Keep the kumquat well mulched around its base. They are okay with frost but anything below 25ish for a young tree causes them to drop leaves depending on the wind chill and humiditiy. The leaves should come back out in the spring if the bark is green, break off a small limb and check it out. In your local try and find a south facing window with a WNW windbreak screen. Even in the deep south in harsh winters we keep them covered or use black water barrels.

o

Since I live in the Merrimack Valley, I can tell you that it's easy to find the bark and turface you need, but in the spring.

Agway has the perfect bark and Dodge Grain in Salem N.H has the Turface, although the M.P.V coarse one is the one you want. NOT the Atletics Pro, too fine.

You can also get fir bark from another area if you ask.

I would follow Josh's and Al's advice and try to make best of the mix your tree is in until it's a better time.

Have you tried using a wick? Have you checked for mites with a magnifying glass?
I would not not fertilize if your mix is already holding to many disolved salts.
Have you flushed your mix?

Welcome to New England citrus growing.

o

"Posted by oceandweller 8B (My Page) on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:09
Keep the kumquat well mulched around its base. They are okay with frost but anything below 25ish for a young tree causes them to drop leaves depending on the wind chill and humiditiy. The leaves should come back out in the spring if the bark is green, break off a small limb and check it out. In your local try and find a south facing window with a WNW windbreak screen. Even in the deep south in harsh winters we keep them covered or use black water barrels."

Thanks for the feedback.
The tree is indoors. What would the windbreak screen do? When you mention the mulch around the base, do I just drop some mulch on top of the existing soil?

o

"Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 12:11
Welcome to New England citrus growing."

Thanks Mike. I tried the Dodge Grain last week and had no luck. Looks like I will have to wait a few more weeks.

Is this the correct Agway mulch? They have a few different types?

http://www.agway.com/catalog/home_and_garden/mulches/pine/10202313_agway_pine_bark_mulch_3_cuft.html

What about the crushed Granite. The guy at Dodge Grain said they do not carry it. I have also checked John Deere, Home Depot and Lowes with not luck.

I will be following the rest of the above tips over the next few weeks. If all goes well I will post pictures of progress.

This post was edited by TheStar on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 16:37

o

I'm pretty sure the Kumquat is dead. I broke off a few of the branches and they are completely dried up and brown.

o

Hello..I am so sorry to hear of this.

By the way, that is exactly the bark I use in my mixes! It is southern pine.
That is why it's a bit expensive if you hadn't noticed.

Looks like it might be time to start over again in the spring with a good tree since I think you are aware of the concepts of a great mix:-)

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here