Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Omitting bark from gritty mix

Posted by fortyonenorth 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:40

I'm sure this has been asked previously, but I'm wondering about the merits of omitting bark fines from the gritty mix and using a 1:1 mix of granite and Turface. Al, I've read posts where you have said the PBFs are an economical way to "extend" the mix. I understand that, but it's the one thing that's really inconvenient for me to get "right" - especially this time of year when I can't chip/shred bagged PB mulch. My application is specific to succulents, but I'm interested in using it on other, non-succulent, plants as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Omitting bark from gritty mix

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 16:24

An appropriate size bark makes a small measure of nutrients available as the bark breaks down, and makes the soil less expensive on a per volume basis. Both are minor attributes a grower can do w/o.

I think that if you eliminate the bark, you'll need to change the 1:1 ratio of granite:Turface to something like 3:2 or 2:1 in favor of the granite. The reason is, the granite and bark combined make up the largest fraction of the soil, and those components are both larger than Turface. Even screened Turface is small enough to support about an inch of perched water. The Turface will tend to filter in between the grit particles and make for fewer large pores than if there was a suitable size bark in the soil. It's nothing that can't be worked around with a minor adjustment.

Al

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 20:24

If you omit the bark you are basically using the Missouri Gravel Bed formula of pea gravel and calcined clay. They found that somewhere about 30-40% fraction of calcined clay maximizes water retention without impacting aeration. I use 2:1 ratio of pea gravel to turface. I keep all kinds of things in that mix. The succulents seem to like it.

o

Thanks for the replies. Al, good points, as always. Nil, I had never heard of the MGB but, yes, it seems similar to the granite/Turface, only scaled to nursery production. Interesting stuff!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here