Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unhappy desert rose

Posted by granburyflowergirl 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 12:42

My desert rose seems to be suffering terribly and I can't figure out what is wrong. The leaves are all limp, brown and mushy but the branches and above soil line roots look okay.

This is my first winter with a desert rose, is this just what they do in the winter? Too much water? Not enough water? Too cold? I have it in my shed with all of my other container plants. I installed two windows in the shed, Christmas lights are providing minimal warmth and I have a fan moving the air around. About once a week on nice days, I open it up and rotate the plants so everybody gets a turn closest to the windows, so far everybody else seems fine with this arrangement. Any suggestions for my poor rose? Would it be happier in the warm house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unhappy desert rose

• Posted by tapla zone 5b-6a Mid-M (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 15:12

Being it's a zone 10 plant, it's almost (a nice way of saying it is) certain they cannot tolerate the cold they're being subjected to.

Al

o

I have been in a lrearning experience for 3 years and this is what I have found out:

They hate COLD temps and HATE to be watered at all at this time. Unless they are in a full sunny very warm to hot window or under lights and actively growing with leaves, you should not water at all.

Some I know do not water them at all all winter while they go into dormant stage. Only when leaves start to emerge, they start watering in warm sun.

Let's make this as easy as possible.

They usuually rot if you introduce any water to them in the conditions you described.

Mike

o

If at first you don't succeed try try again or We further our growing knowledge more by failure than success.

o

LOL, is it too late if I bring it inside our toasty house now? Maybe blow dry the roots with my hair dryer? :-)

On a happy note, my citrus are all shiny and lush and some are even blooming up a storm in these conditions

o

Don't blow dry the roots! ;)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here