Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container with small opening

Posted by pandscorp (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 12:46

I have access to hundreds of heavy duty white jugs that have a 1 1/2" opening on top. Can I grow tomatoes in these without opening the tops any wider? If so, how many drain holes would I want to drill around the bottom, & what size?
The jugs range from 4 1/2 gal. to 8 1/4 gal. and formerly held a food product. Other than using a light soil, is there anything else I should know or be thinking about?
I'm hoping that by leaving the top closed except for the opening for the plant, I can slow down evaporation a little. People grow veggies in bags . . . would this be much different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container with small opening

I am guessing that these are a clear plastic. The size sounds like they would be large enough to cut them in two around the middle and make two containers, one with the drain hole already made. I would nor recommend the plant in the bottle, although I know it is done with ships. Al

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 13:17

The top hole is big enough, but you will have a hard time getting the soil mix into the jug. People grow tomatoes "upside down" in containers like this with a small hole for the plant (at the bottom) A single drain hole at the bottom will suffice.

o

I agree with Al on cutting them in half. Alternatively, cut off just the top if you want to maximize container size.

The main reason I would suggest against the "tiny hole at the top" part is convenience. As chadinlg mentioned, you'll have a hard time getting the media into the jug. But you'll have an even HARDER time getting it back out, once it's fully colonized by roots.

o

Thanks everyone!

o

Actually, you WANT to allow evaporation from the soil surface. Soil gases (CO2) need to escape, as well. Oxygen is exchanged with CO2 at the soil surface....an essential function of a good soil system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here