Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drain height 55 gal. barrels

Posted by pandscorp (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 12:51

Can I drill my drain holes on the sides of my barrel rather than on the bottom, so that a water reserve would be held below my soil? I was wanting to experiment with different heights ranging from 2" to 12". Does anyone have any experiences with trying this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drain height 55 gal. barrels

• Posted by tapla zone 5b-6a Mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 14:33

Don't do it. All you'll be doing is creating a breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria that have great potential to rot roots. The bacteria will also produce methane, excess CO2, and sulfurous gas compounds that will impair root function and reduce plant vitality. Put your holes on the bottom at the container's lowest point. Containers that need more frequent watering generally offer much greater opportunity for plants to grow as close as possible to their genetic potential.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here