Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rootmaker and smartpots

Posted by joeschmoe 6 (Ohio) (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 14:28

Who has used these air/constriction root pruning systems?

If I were to try to grow some trees for eventual planting out in them, I have questions:

1. How do you know when "it's time" to pot up? Do you do it as soon as the root branching has occurred to a point where you can see roots at the outside of the soil ball, or let them "rebranch" a couple times first? Is there a good rule of thumb?

2. Does the "4-inch rule" touted by Carl Whitcomb apply more or less to most plants?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rootmaker and smartpots

I just posted a thread yesterday on the palms forum and posted a pic of some of my palms I just put up in Air Pots and Smart Pots. I am interested in the answers to your questions as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palms in Smart Pots

o
RE: rootmaker and smartpots

1. Couple of rough tests for shifting. Gently try to lift the plant by the stem. If the plant starts to pull loose, it is not ready. If you can lift container and all, it may be ready for a shift. Another sign with some containers is if the plant lifts out of the container but the entire soil ball holds together... Shift. In general, the sooner the shift, the sooner that plant gets a jump on any competition.

2.The "4 inch rule" applies to most plants... A shift once a year does a pretty good job of maintaining that growth momentum. For larger trees, say 3 inch diameter and up, the "inch rule" probably inches to 6 or more inches per shift.

Hope that helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here