Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1234qwer

Basic container gardening questions

a1234qwer
9 years ago

I have no experience gardening and want to start growing vegetables in a 5 gallon bucket or two. I want to go organic all the way. I bought a DVD titled "3-D Barrel Gardening" from easiestgarden.com that explains a lot of what I need to know.

I'm not a picky eater, so I'm mostly interested in variety. What would be the best veggies to grow for a beginner?

I would like to grow from seeds because I don't like the waste and expense of buying plantings. What is a good source for buying organic seeds?

I process my food scraps with bokashi, so I will have as much bokashi tea as I need for fertilizing.

Which organic potting mix should I get? My local health food store sells G&B brand potting mix which I've read is good. Thanks for any replies.

Comments (6)

• oxboy555
    9 years ago

Dilute that bokashi tea or you'll burn a hole straight to the center of the earth like alien blood.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Most of the people in this forum do not grow organically. I try to as much as possible, but it is inadequate for many applications. Lot's of places sell organic seeds. Each nursery has unique items, so their are dozens to choose from. I'm not sure all these are organic, I think so, but I don't buy organic seeds, they jack the price up, and I don't care. Also what vegetables do you plan on growing? As we have many specialty nurseries too.
    Growing from seed is an art form, you need lot's of supplies too, germination trays, heating mats, thermostats, plant lights, etc. So lot's of cash is good!
    It's expensive to grow from seed. Also when you say totally organic, OK, organic seeds, organic soil, organic fertilizer, then grow in a plastic pot? Really?
    Well try root pouches, not sure if organic? But man they are great! Buy them and many of your supplies at the Greenhouse megastore. Google these names, too many to list URL's.
    To make sure you have enough bacteria I like to use MycoGrow mycorrhizae bacteria go to www.fungi.com for that. I also use Biota Max, and then we have the organic pesticides, As you will need them for sure growing vegetables. Yet another expense.
    For seeds try Burpee's , Johnny's Selected Seeds, Seed Savers Exchange, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, growitalian.com, territorial seeds, and about 100 others.
    Other places to check out are Planet Natural, Harris Seeds for germination supplies. Compare prices of everything to what you can get on Amazon. I do a lot of business with them too. Often having great prices.
    One of the greatest marketing tools man ever devised was the word organic. get the wallet out and expect a 10-30% premium on anything organic. Good luck!

• Chris
    9 years ago

I'm going to give to have to disagree with a lot of Drew's comments above. I'm somewhat of a novice. This will be my first year with a full garden, but I've grown veggies in pots on apartment balconies for years with some success--if you consider how much I neglected them I would say it was a great success. I also disagree that it's expensive.

I have some tomato seedlings growing right now and they were insanely easy to get going. I bought a Jiffy tray with peat pellets from home depot for $5.50, waaaaaaaaay too many seeds from Burpee for $75 (the random mix of tomato seeds for $5), and bags of organic ecoscraps soil for $6.

My tomato seedlings are growing remarkably well inside in my peat pellets, and all I have to do is set the tray outside on the warm cement during the day while I'm at work and bring them inside tonight. In fact, I had to transplant 2 of them to pots tonight because they're getting to big.

I also have broccoli growing outside right now that I direct seeded and they're doing just fine. I just go out every other day and give them some water.

Aside from my extravagant cost for some redwood raised planters and years worth of seeds that I bought but don't need, I could have done all this gardening for about $20. If you aren't trying to go organic on an over-the-top level, I say it's pretty easy to keep costs under control.

a1234qwer thanked Chris
  • drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Try growing tomatoes in Michigan. CA is easy we agree there. No fungi hardly at all, here we have them all.
    Yeah I was rather negative but some of it is tongue in cheek. I think it is fun, and tried to point to easy stuff to start, and notice I included tomatoes. Try growing peaches and get back to me. I have 4 peach trees myself.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Oxboy555............LOL!