Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Turface

Posted by Kullin none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:21

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for a couple weeks reading up on all sorts of things, but a big one for me was trying to figure out what killed off my plants last season. I know it's early for spring plants and all, but I'm trying to get set up for a potted garden. I'm having difficulty with Turface. I've been to nurseries (the few still open) and most every big chain store in my area. Anyone have tips on a location in the Grand Rapids/Holland Michigan area? I live closer to Holland but I'm willing to travel.

Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Turface

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 16:31

Try calling

Commerce Corp
4660 East Paris Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Phone: 616-541-3000

I've purchased Turface MVP from them (had them deliver a whole pallet - 40 bags) and other hard to find fertilizers, etc. They're set up as a wholesaler, but will sell cash & carry over the counter, too.

or

Turf Services
Spring Lake
(616) 842-4975

If those fail you, try

Earth Service & Supply (Lakeshore Golf & Turf)
3961 Roger B Chaffee Memorial Blvd SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49548
Phone:
616-241-6610
1-800-398-0388

These turf-related businesses are prolly pretty slow at this time of year, but will pick up in the spring. Still, they might answer the phone - Commerce is your best bet.

Al

o

Thanks Al! I think I'll give Turf Services a shot tomorrow since I'll be going through Spring Lake. If they fail I'll hit Commerce up next. Thanks again. Hopefully my potted garden will be much more successful this year. Last year my soils were constantly wet with minimal watering and very dense. I opted for a no name pre made mix. I managed to get a pepper to bud and two leaves of lettuce out of probably 20 plants. It was quite frustrating.

Jason

o

Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 21:27

I think you're already buying into the idea that soil choice can have a profound effect on what you're able to squeeze out of the growing experience - that will serve you well.

Al

o

Yeah I've seen the effect of thick "Rich" looking soil on a variety of plants. Yes they almost all grew, but most didn't even come close to flourishing, and all died off early except my Habenero that producted one pepper that never ripened.

I called Turf Services and they were over the top helpful. They have it and will be open for me to pick up today. Here's hoping for a fruitful season this year!

Jason

o

Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 12:14

Rockin! Good luck!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here