Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra and other vegetables in container

Posted by srilunewgardener CA 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 15:37

Hi,
I am planning to grow okra in container. What size container do I need and how many plants can I have per container. Also, how many plants do I need to have to get enough okra for a family of 3?

I have a shady, east facing balcony. I hardly get 2 hrs of direct sun each day. What other vegetables can I grow in my balcony.

Thanks,
Srilu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra and other vegetables in container

Hi,

I like to use fabric gardening containers. They work really well with all types of vegetables and herbs, especially if you are growing them on your balcony.

Read this for more information on sizes and types:

http://www.smartpots.com/what-size-smart-pot-should-i-use

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Containers

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 22:07

Srilu, I grew clemson spineless okra in 5 gallon pots last year, but it didn't really start to produce until I put it in direct sun against a south wall. I don't know how they will do on your balcony. They are some of the most heat-loving plants around. Perhaps you could arrange to grow some plants in pots in the parking lot of your building, or where you work?

Although there may be dwarf okra that you could grow in three gallon pots, I would not put more than one plant in a 3 or 5 gallon container and would have at least two plants per okra eater. Don't let the pods get over 3 or 4 inches before you harvest them or they will be woody and tough.

Good luck,
Jan

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 12:06

I agree about the shade, okra is a heat/sun loving plant, not going to do well with only 2 hours of direct sun. I'm in Florida and can grow it as a perennial, although it does slow down production from November through March. I've got three dwarf Baby Bubba plants in each 7 gallon container x 4 containers, that's enough to feed 2-3 people during the spring and summer. I honestly don't think you will do well though unless you can find a sunnier spot.

Tom

o

Thank you for the replies. Looks like okra will not do well in my balcony. Can you suggest any other vegetables I can grow other than leaves like
spinach, lettuce etc.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here