Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planter for around tree trunk?

Posted by tracey3345 Hamptons, NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 9, 07 at 15:57

I have a large tree that comes up through my deck (a hole was cut in the deck floor to accommodate it). I'd like to put a round planter on the deck floor around the base of the tree trunk, but have been unable to find one. (I keep finding those benches that go around the tree trunk instead!). Has anyone seen a planter designed to fit around a tree trunk, or perhaps have another idea? Please, save me from resorting to using an old tire! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planter for around tree trunk?

Whatever you do, don't use a tire. Tires, being rubber...can transfer much heat to the wood of the tree.
I can see where your choice might be harder to come by....but an old tire should not---in my opinion, be one of them.

I know people have used them....generally, they are seen at an angle, used as a container with plants in them usually out on a lawn or at edges of gardens.
Do keep in mind good drainage.

o

I think she was kidding. I sensed irony in her plea. ;-)

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 15, 07 at 12:33

I seem to remember seeing terracotta ring segments similar to what you are wanting, but don't remember where. It seems to me, one of the reasons they are not more readily available is it would be difficult to produce the variety of sizes required to serve the market. I have found a few other solutions.

http://www.eco-gardening.com/612/copper_tree_ring_planter.php

Three of these could be arranged around your tree so that the trunk comes through the center:
http://www.markstaar.com/product/129/789.html

http://www.markstaar.com/product/129/790.html

Also, if you find an air conditioning duct maker, some other metal shop, fencing company, etc., you might be able to have something custom made to your liking.

Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here