Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Container Tree for Indoors

Posted by baconquest none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 16:56

Hey Everyone!

I've enjoyed learining from everyone on this forum so much that I'm looking to add to my container collection (I currently have a meyer lemon!).

I'm looking for a tree that will do well in a 5 gal container in my house year-round. Conditions are all indirect sunlight, althought the room gets a fair amount of indirect year-round. It should also have the potential to get to 5-6 ft at least. "Hard to kill" is a must, although I'm getting more confident in my container gardening abilities as I learn more about soil conditions and fertilizing (thanks Al and MeyerMike!)

Anyways, any input is more than welcomed, also figured it would be a fun topic for everyone to chime in on their personal favorites!

-Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Container Tree for Indoors

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 22:05

Where do you live?

Al

o

Should have specified. Central MA, zone 5b. By the way, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your posts on soil and fert. They saved my meyer!

o

I have a little norfolk pine that does great indoors.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 18:18

I'm happy you found some of my offerings useful. Thanks for the kind words, too.

Probably easiest/least picky of the indoor trees is schefflera. Some people find Ficus benjamina a little temperamental, but they do well for me. If you have good light, China doll is another possibility, but they can get rangy pretty quickly.

Al

o

• Posted by dan4279 z5 Western Mass (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 23:14

I have a decent sized ficus I grow inside in Massachusetts that does pretty well. I don't find it that picky and love the way it looks. I also agree with Al in that scheffs are real easy, but to me scheffs look better as a bush and ficus look great as a tree.

Dan

o

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm going to go wih the ficus. They're readily available and sound like it will do pretty good in the space I have in mind. The last time I made 5-1-1 I ended up with about 5 gallons overage, looks like I'll have something to put it to good use!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here