I couldn't resist!

stropharia
13 years ago

{{gwi:2578}}

{{gwi:2579}}

Comments (15)

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

What a pretty tree and so healthy looking.

Good luck,
    Jane

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful up top... have you checked out roots yet? Nice addition to a potted fruit forest! :-)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Strike while the iron's hot...! ;)

I'm almost certain that I'll add one of these to my collection this Spring.
    ...So very tempting to go out today and bring one home. I have several gift certificates
    burning a hole in my pocket.

Josh

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Don't let Mike see this picture.

• stropharia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ladies, I'm pretty psyched about it.

Jodi, I did dig gently in the top couple inches of soil and was a bit disappointed by the lack of roots. I'm wondering if this plant was potted on right before selling, so it'd be in a bigger pot and sell for more.
    Most of the citrus at this nursery (and around town in general) are from one supplier, but the variegated lemons all had a different grower tag.

Still, it seems healthy and strong, lots of new growth coming in (fuchsia!), though no visible buds yet.

I'll get some pictures in this thread when I bareroot it.

• stropharia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whoops, and thank you gentlemen! We must've all been typing at the same time.

Josh, do it!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Si Josh, ahora en rapido! lol

Stropharia: I know exactly what that feels like. NO matter how many you have, there will always be room for one more. Looks just like mine and this is a glimpse of the flowers you will get! Oh, so fragrant and colorful when out of bloom. Working really hard to get Josh to own one.

No one can post a new citrus on the forum and get away with it..lol Good one Rhizzo. :0-)

I hope everyone else here is ok and happy.

Mike

{{gwi:2580}}

{{gwi:2582}}

13 years ago

...Howdy! I had to do it ;)
    Mike and Stropharia, thanks for the final impetus.

Mine has a bit of cold damage, but overall the form is quite nice.
    I chose the tree with the lowest graft, sturdiest trunk, and lowest branches.
    I was tempted to re-pot this afternoon...decided against it.

I have pics, but they're not uploaded yet.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

WONDERFUL Josh!!

I can't wait to see your plant! I am so excited for you. Now we have to get Jodik and Jojo to get one, maybe Al..lol
    Looks like you'll be building a bigger greenhouse, lol.
    That's next, trust me.

You will not be disappointed, not at all. I am so happy you did Josh.

Mike

13 years ago

Mike, my cold-frame is pretty well packed with plants now...
    but my mom just bought me a book on making different types of greenhouses -
    so perhaps I will have something more spacious in the future? ;)

I'll put a link in this Thread as soon as I post pics to the Citrus Forum,
    that way we won't be cluttering up Stropharia's Thread! ;)

Josh

13 years ago

Good evening, all.

A new pic added to the Winter Pics thread over at the Citrus Forum......
    Stop on by....if you dare ;)

Winter Pics!!!

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Pics - citrus

• stropharia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, that's awesome, congrats! Your plant looks great, I'm jealous of how low the branching starts on all of your citrus.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Gift certificates always make one want to go spend right away! Nice trees, Josh!

I could never grow a decent sized dwarf fruit tree in my current indoor environment. It wouldn't survive the winters. It would be fine for the warmer months, growing outside... but I'd have nowhere to put it once the weather began cooling for winter. I barely manage to keep a small banana tree alive!

I'd be embarrassed to photograph the poor thing... it has one nice green leaf, and one barely hanging on. Al suggested cutting it back, and I had fully intended to, but life got in the way and I missed my window... as soon as I put it outside in spring, it'll perk right up and begin growing new leaves.

It's a catch-22 for me... the husband works with electronics, and that requires dry air. I grow plants, which require some humidity. We live in a studio-type apartment, second floor of a farmhouse. It's a dilemma.

I do like the pastel of the pink blossoms paired with the variegated leaves... very pretty combination! Should we ever move, I will consider growing citrus!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh!!!!

Fantastic and just BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Let me tell you. If it were not for the great friends here, and the mixes we learned of, I don't think we could of ever been so secure in knowing that we can mnake these sometimes finicky plants thrive!

I am sure in your care they will, and be much happier than where they were, especially in amoung sour people!!
    I can't beleive that they did not even know what FP was..

Very nice Josh and just beautiful..I am so glad we both have one know. Congrats.:-))

Jodik..Dont' feel bad. All your little citrus tree would need is a sunny spot. That's it. It does not mind dry air or home conditions through the winter and I KNOW that you know how to provide it the best mix in the world.;-)
    They are easier than growing a banana plant too.

We will have you growing one before you know it..lol
    You should smell the fragrance..

Hugs to you from mom and me.

Mike

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Really, Mike? Well... in that case... I'm keeping my eyes open for dwarf citrus trees this spring!

If they can tolerate a little dry air over winter, I'm game to give one a try! I think I've got all the necessary knowledge... and I'm sure I could rearrange some bulbs to provide a sunny location... some are napping around that time, anyway.

You've convinced me! I'll begin looking next time we get to town for a re-supply trip! Thanks for the information... and the vote of confidence! :-)

Hugs back at you and Mom!