Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredman_gw

How much fertilizer?

fred
10 years ago

I fertilize with Foliage Pro and ProTekt "weakly" every time I water. I always flush to get rid of the salts. Every time I fertilize I wonder how much is enough. This stuff doesn't come cheap and my growing season isn't very long so I want the best growth I can get without wasting/overfeeding...!
Does anybody know how much is enough? Obviously the bigger the plant the more fertilizer, but how much? Is a cup per gallon sufficient? Do I just wet it or do I soak it. My logic says to me to just add so it don't flow out the bottom. How much do you fertilize?

This post was edited by fredman on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 17:28

Comments (6)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

With peppers during the growing season in 5-gallon pots, I add a liter of full-strength Foliage Pro once a week. That amount usually saturates and then allows a bit to flow out...but not too much. I fertigate slowly, around and around the pot, getting all the mix.

Josh

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

Hopefully you're not doing a full flush each time. There is such thing as overleaching. You only want up to 20% max water coming out the bottom each irrigation so that a fair amount of the fert solution stays up in the soil. Of course, if your water alkalinity is really high, you'll want to do the complete flush probably every few months if you're concerned about keeping medium pH down.

One cup per gallon is WAAAAY too much, especially if adding FP each watering. I use about 1/8 tsp per gal.

If you incorporate CRFs, you can probably error on the lighter side with the liquid ferts.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

A cup of fertigating solution per gallon of container volume....that doesn't sound like too much to me.

Josh

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

Er...i guess I misread...thought he meant a cup of FP per gal of water.

• fred
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I maybe shouldn't have used the word "flush". I wet until the container is "saturated" (until some water drips out the bottom). When all the containers are done I start with the fertilizing. Every 5th time on average I water a second time until water runs freely out the bottom.

Josh. "I add a litre of full-strength Foliage Pro once a week"
    That is exactly what makes me wonder. Is a litre enough, to much or to little? Wont a 1/4 litre do the same job?
    I once read somewhere Al mentioning he uses a 1 Gal tank to water 50 containers. I might be mistaken but that is how I remember it.
    I'm wondering about this everytime I fertilize. Am I giving them to much or to little. Smaller containers don't take/need much but big containers needs more. My problem is how much is enough. I don't want to waste and don't want to underfeed. The fertilizer don't come cheap either.....!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think it would be better to apply a lesser strength but more often. For example, instead of fertilizing with full strength every 4th time, I would rather fertilize with 1/4 strength every time.

Also, I like oxboy555's idea, not flushing and over watering. The other thing is to be able to read your plant. Nitrogen status is a good representative. Is your plant getting pale green or getting darker green ? Then you adjust fertilizing accordingly.