Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aromatic flowers

Posted by isobel999 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 17:32

Does anyone know of any aromatic flowers or plants that I could put in a window box in San Diego?

Thanks vey much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aromatic flowers

What are your growing conditions? Exposure, full-sun, partial? How deep are your window boxes?

Jane

o

Sage, Lavender....

Josh

o

Mint is pretty fragrant, and easy! Sometimes too easy...

o

Assuming the OP has good sun, I like scented geraniums, lemon thyme, lemon verbena, mini roses (although they do get quite big with large root systems, sweet pea (cool), nicotiana.

Bees are attracted to flowering herbs and flowers and should be considered if your windows are left open.

Jane

o

If it is aroma you want, you can't beat Basil. It will also stimulate the appetite. Most showy flowers do not have a strong enough fragrance to travel on the moving air. Al

o

Petunias are extremely fragrant, although may be boring to some people. I often get wafts of their spicy fragrance inside our apartment from one hanging basket several feet away from the building.
I recently sent for some Mignonette seeds as they are supposed to be very fragrant, but their flowers are not showy. I thought I would tuck them in with other more showy flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: mignonette

o

I am with Jane on the scented geraniums! I have one that smells the whole room up while everything less is out of bloom.
This one plant made the whole nursery house smell good and I had to ask them what it was. This is the plant and not a disappointment at all! Love it, especially when the sun hits it.

It almost smell like citrus and something else I can not put a finger on.
Now, many around here want one.

Mike

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here