Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Peat'???

Posted by caterwallin 6-PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 18:16

I asked this before and got the answer that it's spaghnum peat moss. The spaghnum peat moss that I buy is fine stuff; I get it at Lowe's. Now when I was reading a thread describing how someone (I think it was Al) screens their peat with 1/2" screen (or was it 1/4"?), it makes no sense to me that peat would be the same thing as this peat moss that I buy. It would be pointless to screen it since it's fine material.
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Peat'???

Are you making the 5-1-1? If so no need to screen peatmosss. No need to ever screen peat. I get he 3 cu ft bale from home depot.

o

I don't really know which mixture I'm making yet. Ha. I feel like I'm becoming more and more confused in some ways. I originally thought that I should put my hackberry trees and Amorpha fruticosa in the 5-1-1 mix, but I also think they should go in the gritty mix. Oh my, I'm wondering if I'll learn all of this stuff. I will I will, it just might take me a year or ten.
Cathy

o

I am sure Al can help you soon. It will not be too hard. When it comes to plants that will be in a container for more then a year Al's 5-1-1 or the gritty is a must.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 21:33

Cath - I don't really screen it, I push it through a 1/2 or 3/8" screen to break up the large clumps & to remove what few large sticks sneak into the bale.

Al

o

Ooh, now I get it, Al. :)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 20:23

Photobucket Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here