Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes: What is the smallest container I can grow them in?

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 18:54

My friend is willing to give me some of her seed potatoes. Can I grow them well in a 3 gallon pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes: What is the smallest container I can grow them in?

No. In the right conditions in a big container you can get 5-8 times as much by weight as you plant. You could not plant more than one seed potato in a three gallon pot, so you'd be lucky to get enough potatoes for one serving. You'd be better off planting in a 30-gallon trash bag like the other recent post in this forum discusses. Potatoes, like their cousins tomatoes, are very big plants that require a lot of room.

o

The smallest container I ever tried them in was 10 gallons. The returns was ok, not great but ok for the work involved. I have heard of folks trying a 5 gallon bucket but the production was minimal. You'd get potatoes, just not many of them and they would be small.

Dave

o

zackey,
Have researched growing potatoes?

If not, It's my understanding that the stem needs to be covered as it grows, so it will need a fairly large container.

I am going to try this season, with an old squirrel cage from a cooler.

JoJo

o

The stems only need to be covered to protect any spuds growing near the surface from getting exposed to light. That's it. Mulching would do the same thing.

o

I have read of people growing them on top of the ground and kind of want to try. Just separating them from the dirt with newspaper. Keeping them covered with hay. I've read about it in a couple of places. They are very easy to harvest then just pick up the hay and collect the potatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: One method

o

Here is another method.

Growing in a plastic bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-grow-potatoes-in-a-trash-bag/index.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here