Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

2nd times a charm?

zzackey
9 years ago

I didn't have much success with container gardening a few years ago. I want to try again this year with tomatoes. I prefer a 3 gallon pot since that is the biggest I can lift. Can I get away with that? How often should I fertilize?

Comments (17)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Tomatoes like to be fed, so maybe at 1/4 strength every time you water or at full strength every 2 weeks. Slow down to half that once fruiting. If willing to start from seed, you could try some of the dwarf tomatoes. In recent years over 30 varieties of dwarf tomatoes for containers have been released. I grow tomatoes in 30 gallon pots, as the bigger the better. Normal tomato plants are not well suited for 3 gallon pots. It can be done, but you might get a better yield with the dwarf types.
    Only a few small seed sellers sell the dwarfs like Victory Seed company the Sample Seed Shop, and Tatiana's. Seed Store.
    I was interested in growing Sweet Sue, creamy yellow tomato with a pink blush at the blossom end. It has purplish leaves, is a potato leafed type. The stems are super thick on these small plants. I heard it was beautiful.
    The taste on these dwarfs is excellent too.
    The dwarf tomato project was a huge success, developed just for growers by growers. No royalties, all open pollinated. Any of us can participate too. The project is sttill ongoing.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I kinda figured the pots were too small. How do I find the dwarf tomato project?

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I kinda figured the pots were too small. How do I find the dwarf tomato project?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

It's in another forum, and you have to apply to become a member. It is a forum about everything tomato. They do the work there. You can buy seeds from the nurseries mentioned. I cannot mention the name else GW will reject this message. T is for tomato and v is for ville TV, google it.
    It would be the best place you can go to ask about how to grow your plants. I know nothing compared to the tomato growers there. You could ask here too. The tomato forum here is decent, with lot's of great people.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I found the forum.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I registered but it won't let me on there yet. I guess I'm being analyzed.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

You will get an email and then post in town hall about yourself. It took them a few weeks to let me in. It's worth the wait, and excellent site, well the people there are excellent. Many are here too. I keep getting seeds send to me, it's awesome! People are very generous. So i have been sending out seeds too, what you do comes back to you. If you go to the right area, and ask for dwarf seeds, you'll get them. I don't have any myself. I'm more interested in growing sauce tomatoes myself. My wife likes cherry tomatoes, so i grow three plants for her every year. I like them too. But sauce is my thing.

I'm still deciding what cherries to grow this year. In the running are Mexico Midget, Nectar, Purple Bumblebee, Sunlemon (A new one in the sun series) Sungreen, Orange Paruche, Snow White, and Blue Gold berries.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 14:47

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Now I know I just have to wait. A friend gave some Tiny dwarf tomatoes last year. I only got about 10 tomatoes off of 6 of them. I do have 10 gallon pot I can grow a tomato in. I'd rather grow regular tomatoes.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Now I know I just have to wait. A friend gave some Tiny dwarf tomatoes last year. I only got about 10 tomatoes off of 6 of them. I do have 10 gallon pot I can grow a tomato in. I'd rather grow regular tomatoes.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

The tomatoes in the dwarf project produce well, are regular tomatoes, they grow to 4 or 5 feet tall instead of 6 or 7. They were developed for container culture. We have older dwarfs that are small tomato plants, meant for indoors in super small pots. Not those!
    You can actually look at the development of each one and see production reports. The site though is for all things tomato. I myself also have limited interest in them as they didn't really develop sauce tomatoes, my main interest. I recently heard a radio interview with the guy who founded the project. He just wrote a book
    Epic Tomatoes, How to Select and Grow the Best Varieties of All Time
    Here you can listen to or download the podcast. The last two shows are with him. I only listened to the 01-10-15 show, the other is on my mp3 player though. I will listen to it soon. I like to listen to garden podcasts, I listen to about 20 different shows weekly. All have podcasts I download and put on my mp3 player. Here is the rms feed page

Here is a link that might be useful: America's Homegrown veggies

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm having trouble doing my first post on TV. It said to introduce myself, but I don't see any new thread button. Would you please help me? Should we be emailing this instead?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I sent an email.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hi zacky,

Go to Growing to Growing Tomatoes forum and ask about dwarf tomatoes.
    I am going to grow several of them in containers this year:

== Polish Dwarf >>>hahms gelbe topftomate >>Rosella crimson >>Dwarf Pink passion >>>Dwarf purple heart

There are a lot of dwarves and compact determinants suitable for containers.

Seysonn

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew51 I never got your email. Let me send you one and see if that works.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Ok well go to the townhall. You will see all the various threads listed. Above them on the left side is a yellow button. "New Topic". On the top quarter of the page, left side. If you don't see it, final approval is not done. Make sure you follow directions in confirming your email etc. All I can think of. If you still have a problem, I will make them aware of it, give me your user name.
    Also no email yet from you. Sometimes this web site has problems. I have not been notified of new messages for about a week or longer now?

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 10:50

• nil13
    9 years ago

Tomato Growers also has dwarf tomatos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Growers

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Send me an email at zackeysmom@yahoo.com. I'll tell you my user name there.