Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Determining the capacity of a container?

Posted by tangerine_z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 19:50

What is the equation for determining volume? I want to know the volume of a container that is

22" long
4.5" wide
36" deep

I hope I haven't brought this up if it was recently posted. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Determining the capacity of a container?

MULTIPLY LENGTH X WIDTH X DEPTH. THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE VOLUME IN CUBIC INCHES. IF YOU DIVIDE BY 312(312 cu in = 1 gallon) YOU WILL HAVE THE VOLUME IN GALLONS.
Jim

o
RE: Determining Cu ft and/or gallons

I forgot,in case your interested.I Cubic foot = 12x12x12=1768 cubic inches. Your box = 22x4.5x36=3564 cubic inches. Divide 3564 by 1768 and you have 2.015 cubic ft or 11.4 gallons.
Jim

o
RE: Error Determining the capacity of a container?

I looked at my notes and can't read my writing. Not uncommon for a senior citizen. There 512 cubic inches per gallon not 312. Cubic ft formula is OK

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 23:01

There are 269 cu inches in a dry US gallon (231 in a liquid gallon). Your container capacity is 3,564 cu inches. Divide that by 269 for the capacity in gallons - 13.25 gallons.

Al

o

Al
I stand corrected,231 sounds familiar.Wasn't aware of dry volume difference. I was juggling a formula that I had for pots. Thank you for straightening me out.
Jim

o

Thanks so much for the help. As soon as I saw the length x width x depth I had to give myself a dope slap!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 13, 06 at 16:22

Ever try to buy 3,564 cu inches of container soil? Didn't think so. Volume by gallons easier? ;o)

Al

o

• Posted by bjs496 z9 SE Houston (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 17:27

I'll chime in... kind of late on this one, but I'll still chime in. LOL

a cubic feet is 1728 cu in. Not that it matters that much.

If you have a round container, you can calculate one of two ways. First, take the diameter, multiply it by itself then by the height then by .79 and divide by 1728

D * D * H * .79 / 1728 = Volume (cu ft)

Secondly, you can take the radius (diamter divided by 2) multiply it by itself (sqaure it) mulitply it by Pi (3.14) then multiply it by the height and divide by 1728.

R^2 * Pi * H / 1728 = Volume (cu ft)

I hope this helps,
~james

o

Boy it was 20 years since my highschool grad. That was a looooong time ago! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here