Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying Salt content in water

Posted by DandyLioness 9, SZ 14 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 19:58

So, I have a water softener and have no way of checking which pipes go where. I'm scared that the spout outside under the kitchen window might contain soft water, and I've been using it to water my plants.

I understand how detrimental salt can be to plant growth, so does anyone know if there is some kind of water test or something that will tell me if the water from the outdoor spouts is softened?? I'm puttin in a couple rain barrels this week so ill use that water while its available, but I want to know what to do when I need an alternative. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying Salt content in water

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 22:08

For under $30, you can get a TDS meter that will measure total dissolved solids in a solution. It won't tell the whole picture though. If you have an ion exchange softener, it replaces mostly Ca/Mg ions (but others like Fe and Cu, too) with Na ions. Even if the TDS level was appropriate, it would still be too high in Na.

Al

o

As far as determining if a particular hose bib is hard or soft water, a few drops of detergent and a quart jar half full of water, compared to water known to be soft, should answer your question. No outside bibs should be soft water. Al

o

So I should add a couple of drops of detergent to both jars of water and then...what exactly am I looking for?

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 14:22

Shake them and see whether you get suds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here