Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthwatersunwind

Is bone meal a good slow-release fertilizer?

earthwatersunwind
18 years ago

I am an organic gardener and there's a shortage of good slow-release products. Will this work in a container if mixed into the soil? I have a good 3-3-3, but I need extra P for my veggies. Should I dissolve it in water? How much? Any help is appreciated.

AS

Comments (4)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Hey there. As a fertilizer, bonemeal is pretty poor although I do dump in a cupful when I'm making soil blocks. It is very slow to break down. I buy the stuff that is mixed with poultry feed. That is almost a powder and so the calcium in it is more quickly available. I don't know what % is available as Potassium but 15% is available as Calcium which is important for tomatoes, peppers and calla lillies. Sandy

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

All organic fertilizer that is animal based is slow release by nature. Mammal and bird products are quite slow (bone/blood meal, feather meal) - fish tends to assimilate a bit faster. Again, look for Dr. Earth Organic 5 or 8 - specifically formulated for bloom, fruit and vegetable production. Don't dissolve in water - just include a handful or so when potting up the container or sprinkle over the top.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Please excuse me if I sound snippy today. It has been a bad morning so far. I've been gardening for more than 40 years and I have never heard of Dr. Earth Organic 5 or 8 - specifically formulated for bloom, fruit and vegetable production. I have heard of organic and mineral products sold under many different brand names to increase their price to cover packaging. Bone meal is bone meal made from bones left from butchering of cattle primarily. The bone is cooked under pressure (steamed) to remove any fat then milled for different uses. Bone meal does not disolve in water. If it did, you would be a puddle of goo rather than a biped.It has been cooked and ground to various sizes so it will break down faster or add protein to chicken feed but bone meal is bone meal. It may be mixed with other things but then it isn't just bone meal anymore. Please read labels. Sandy
    I do sound snippy this morning.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Sandy, there is no need to apologize. Dr. Earth products are based on the west coast and very common in CA, where the OP lives. Dr. Earth markets both blended organic fertilizers as well as the 'simples' or single ingredient materials like bone meal. The blended products are a mixture of various organic fertlizers which provide an assortment of various macro and micronutrients and trace elements specifically combined and formulated for specific plantings and growing conditions. They are no more expensive than buying the simples and far less work and actually save the consumer money than if they were to buy an assortment of the single ingredient products to achieve the same result.

The OP is already using a Dr. Earth liquid solution of 3-3-3. Since she expressed a need for additional levels of P, I suggested a couple of the Dr. Earth dry products that would provide that nutrient in suitable levels, something that just an application of bone meal will not.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH