Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3000k, 6500k, what?!?

Posted by MLavore none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:24

I am looking to get a good set of lights for my indoor container garden and have found a suitable fixture that holds 8 bulbs available in either 3000k or 6500k. I have browsed the web and heard people having good results with all 6500k, a 50/50 mix or any combination of bulbs.

Does anyone here have any direct experience with indoor grow lights in either of those "temperatures" and how well did they work? At this point I am considering a 50/50 mix and hoping for the best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3000k, 6500k, what?!?

I have been using 6500k types since this past November. There are different kind of 6500k. I am using the Daylight and Daylight Deluxe. I am not an expert but I have been studying on this subject a lot , plus I have been getting good results with them.

o
RE: 3000k, 6500k, what?!?

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 12:17

plants can adapt to a very wide range of light. Color temp isn't going to matter all that much. It is basically just a measure of time of day. 11k is noon in the tropics, 3k would be sunset.

Now if you are looking to max out growth by any means, I would look to the triphosphor bulbs with a high CRI (color rendition index). They don't have spikes in the green spectrum to artifically bump up the lumen value. I would also get a nice electronic ballast instead of those crappy old magnetic ones. They will drive the fluorescents more brightly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here