Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing potatoes in 5gal buckets with straw?

Posted by markdpelhamny NY 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 08 at 20:41

I don't have much space to grow potatoes but have a few white 5gal buckets from the local grocer. I've read about a few methods to grow potatoes and wonder if I could fuse them together - I'd like to grow some fingerling or other small potatoes in these buckets (with drainage, soil, etc), starting with some high quality soil mix with plenty of compost and then layering straw on top of the plants up to the top of the bucket. I think potato plants are fairly attactive in flower so want the container for both the minimal footprint and also to be able to move the bucket into my beds as an ornamental once it flowers. Any insights on:
1) Is a 5 gal bucket even feasible or should I be considering something bigger?
2) How many sets can I plan in a 5 gallon bucket? How deep should the soil layer be?
3) Good varieties?
4) General approach to straw potatoes? What sort of soil should I be planting in?
5) Yield?

Straw potatoes are described in:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/VegFruit/potatoes.htm

Some container potato resources:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0506/potatoespots.asp
http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/growing-potatoes.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing potatoes in 5gal buckets with straw?

OK I am going to jump in here. I am not using 5 gallon buckets but 18 gallon Rubbermaid containers for some of my potatoes. Some of my potatoes are in the ground in a 12 inch deep bed with leaves on top. The Rubbermaid containers are about the same height as the 5 gallon buckets. I set the seed potatoes out until they got some sprouts. I used a sodder pencil to burn holes in the bottom of the containers and on the inside I put some fiberglass window screen in the bottom so the potting mix will not drain out. I put 6 inches of soiless potting mix in the bottom. I mixed HollyTone fertilizer (4 tablespoons) in the potting mix and also 2 cups of worm castings. I put 3 seed potatoes on top of the potting mix and then covered the entire thing with dry leaves from my yard. Approx 12 inches of leaves. The potting mix I used is Miracle Grow.

As long as you put about 4-6 inches of a good quality potting mix in the bottom of your 5 gallon bucket and maybe 2 seed potatoes per bucket you should be OK. Straw sounds OK to me. If you want really small potatoes use 3 seed potatoes. I want huge potatoes that is why I only used three in the 18 gallon Rubbermaid.

I like Ronninger's Potato Farm for seed potatoes. I planted Maris Piper, Bintje, Yukon Gold and All Blue. The Maris Piper and Bintje are for frying. Yukon Gold is all purpose and All Blue is for my grandson.

Cheers,
DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here