Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using bath tubs for planters

Posted by nico_girl3 9a (nico_girl3@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 21:38

Hello I was wondering if any one had any advice about setting up a vegetable garden using repurposed bath tubs. Hoping someone here has done this and can offer some advice/information/tips. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using bath tubs for planters

Sounds like a great idea, as long as you leave the drain cracked open at the bottom. And as long as you don't need to move it.

What are those tubs made out of -- porcelain? What does the summer heat or winter cold do to that material? Guess it wouldn't be that different from a glazed clay pot, but I'm not sure. If direct summer sun on the tub increases soil temps an incremental 50 degrees or something, you might need to be concerned.

o
RE: Using bath tubs for planters

Because there's a large amount of surface area with only 1 small hole at one end, one would need a soil mix that water flows through as fast as it can rain. Otherwise, you will have a tub of drowned, rotted plants.

On the bottom inside, some kind of wire mesh or similar, sitting on rocks or bricks between soil and tub, would give water a way to escape over the whole surface area, where it should be able to run out the drain fast enough. I might even do a layer of landscape fabric over the mesh, to make sure sediment can't get through to clog the drain space I've bothered to create.

Is the placement in question, or already decided?

Follow the timing schedule for your area, for whatever plants you'd like to have. For most veg plants, timing is the key.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here