Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjshawk

Best growing medium for sub-irrigated planters

gjshawk
10 years ago

Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I posted, because I don't grow stuff in the winter, but spring will be here in a few months and I am thinking ahead. Last year was my first with square foot beds, and I had quite a bit of success, but I also had three Grow Boxes that performed very well also.

My plan for this year is to continue with the four raised beds, the three Grow Boxes, and add some more containers using the rain gutter watering system. I'm going to automate the watering with float valves and such in the rain gutter system, and maybe even convert the Grow Boxes to float valves. I have a family reunion coming up in July and I know I will be gone for about a week. I don't want to come home to a dead garden because of lack of water.

I'm posting because, even though I'm told to use potting mix for sub-irrigated planters, last season I used Mel's mix and had good success. There might be something better out there that I don't know about but one of you might, so please let me know if you are an old hand with sub-irrigation.

Also, I had a problem with blossom end rot with my tomatoes in the planters. Not so much in the raised beds. Thanks in advance for the good advice.

Comments (5)