Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

is osmocote plus being phased out?

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I have a few cups of Osmocote Plus from around 2008. Once that runs out, the stuff that is available now, as I have just been made aware, doesn't have calcium. That i can work with, but I have read it has been or will be discontinued, yet Scotts still has it on their website.

Since I found some for sale, perhaps I should stock up.

If true it is being phased out, has anyone found WHY Scotts is doing this?

Comments (9)

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

The new goto CRF is Dynamite All Purpose Select.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK - thanks for that info.

Found some Dynamite All Purpose Select on Amazon - says it has Calcium! I might just go ahead and try some.

Questions:

Does it come in a bigger container than 2 lb? I could go through that in a week.

Do you know the amount needed if you were using it as a sole fertilizer in a 5-1-1 or gritty mix?

• Ernie
    10 years ago

The best (shipped) price per pound that I've found for Dynamite All Purpose Select is at Seed Ranch. If you need to buy 50 lbs or more, A.M. Leonard offers a variety of Florikan fertilizers (Florikan makes Dynamite).

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

You'd be surprised how long the "pringles" can of Dynamite lasts you no matter how many pots you have.

I suppose if you had heavy feeder citrus or roses in Miami you'd go through it pretty quick (probably 3x applications/yr), but then again you'd likely have those plants in-ground instead of potted.

If you flush your pots a lot, you'll need more CRF. If you live in a hot climate/mild winter place, you'll need more. If you don't use liquid ferts, you'll need more. Buuttt...more is NOT a lot.

Again, you don't need much. Read the instructions and lean towards the lighter side and add an extra feeding at some point if desired. For most plantings, you're going to throw some in at planting time (say that's spring). Then a little bit more mid/late summer probably and that would likely be it until next spring (at which point, if you were a religious 5-1-1'er, you'd replace the mix. If you're on the two year plan, rinse and repeat for another year).

Certainly don't use Dynamite for in-ground or turf...keep it for the containers. Not that it wouldn't work fine, I'd just be too expensive like you say.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've seen recommendations for Osmocote at around 4 lbs per cubic yard of mix - is that about right for this product as well? I've never added right to a potting mix before, only top dressed, but I've only used the "prefab" stuff like MG, which I'm learning isn't that great.

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

Only need about a tablespoon per 5 gal container.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

The linked thread below includes a lengthy discussion of CRF application rates. A good starting point is to incorporate a CRF at the rate of approximately 1 tablespoon per gallon of potting mix (you might go lighter if you're top dressing). That's considered a light rate and will also require supplemental fertigation with a water soluble fertilizer like Miracle-Gro or Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro. In the nursery trade, it's common to combine fertigation with a CRF applied at a rate of 1 lb of nitrogen per cubic yard of mix. With Dynamite All Purpose Select, that would be about 6.7 lb per cubic yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osmocote Plus Dose for Container

• the_yard_guy
    10 years ago

I'm late getting on this thread, so this is old info. Yes Osmocote Plus has been discontinued by Scotts, although I think some other Osmocote formulations are still available. I was lucky enough to find some Osmocote Plus at a local big box store a few months ago for half price. That's what I plan on using next season.

I have not used the Dynamite All Purpose Select but people on here seem to speak highly of it so it would be a good way to go if you wanted to use a CRF.

TYG

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I might buy the 7 lb bag of Dynamite from Seed Rack - that ought to last a while and give me plenty of experimentation room.

If it's reasonably good, I will eventually use it all, and from my understanding, if it stays dry, CRF doesn't "go bad" per se.