Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mix recommendations for potting up seedlings?

Posted by ferretbee 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 0:07

I have some pepper and tomato seedlings that are due for potting up into 18oz cups. I started them in Ferry Morse organic seed starter mix, but not certain what to use for the next step. I picked up some ingredients today, but still haven't found any good partially composted pine bark for 5:1:1 mix.

Here's what I have on hand:

- Bale of compressed Sphagnum Peat
- Big bag of Vermiculite
- Small bag of Pearlite
- Small quantity of Reptibark (which was really expensive)
- Miracle Grow Potting Mix
- Lowes Sta-Green Potting Mix
- Bag of Gran-i-Grit
- Bag of Pulverized garden lime

I was thinking of trying 7:2:1 peat (wet), vermiculite, perlite which should be similar to Pro Mix BX (recipe courtesy of EngineeredGarden), but I'm open to suggestions.

These are being grown under shop light inside at regular room temps. I haven't figured out a good way to give the tomatoes cold treatment yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mix recommendations for potting up seedlings?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 8:24

I'm sure the Lowe's mix varies by region, so there is no way to guess at what it's like, insofar as water retention/drainage/aeration is concerned. I would probably go with the MG soil mixed 3-4 parts MG and 1 part perlite. The soil will already be water-retentive, so skip the vermiculite. If you're confident the Lowe's soil is something you can use, treat it similarly.

Al

o

ferretbee - I had that recipe wrong (for swc's). Should have been 6 parts peat, 3 parts perlite, and 1 part vermiculite. I'm planning on potting up with 3 parts peat, and 1 part perlite.

EG

o

Last year, I sprouted my pepper seeds in a mix very similar to the Gritty Mix. Then, I moved them into a mix with more bark - closer to the 5-1-1 - in Styrofoam cups. Good drainage is key. I always top-watered, and never allowed my containers to sit in a tray of water for more than a few minutes after watering.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 12:01

I like what Josh said.

Al

o

I wound up making a mix that was about 4 parts partially composted pine bark mulch (I screened some mulch from Lowes and tried to pick out any sapwood), 1 part MG potting mix, and 2 parts pearlite. It seems to drain well, and I'm going about 3 days between watering.

Some of the seedlings on 2-10:

Today, Rutgers in front, Early Girl in back:

Polish Dwarf:

Mini Bell Pepper (top left), Red Beauty (top right), Yummy Mini Bell (front 4):

Are these plants on track, or are they lagging? These germinated between 01-22 and 01-30. I have them under 4 ft fluorescent shop lights with warm and cool bulbs. I keep them very close to the bulbs (1 inch).

I left some pepper seedlings in their starters until yesterday, and they haven't grown much at all.

I haven't been able to find good pine bark yet. I picked up some 'Dr Earth Potting Soil' the other day. Main ingredients are pine bark fines, forest humus, peat moss, pearlite and a bunch of organic fertilizers. I potted up some pepper seedlings in 3 parts Dr Earth and 2 parts pearlite to try it out.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

o

Looking good, Ferret! Thanks for the update pics!

Doesn't seem like they're lagging for zone 5...

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here