Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peppers and tomatoes

Posted by sjbaby 4 (momisonstrike@gmail.com) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 1:57

i really dont want to dig a big garden this year, would 5 gallon buckets work for pepper and tomato plants? any other advice, also wondering what other stuff i could grow in buckets, any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peppers and tomatoes

I have seen peppers grow well in 5-gallon buckets and I have seen tomatoes as well.

o

Peppers, yes....but for most types of tomato, 5-gallons will be quite tight.

Josh

o

Greenman is right -- stick to the dwarf, grape and small cherry types if you do go 5 gal. Be aware that even many indet cherry plants (despite the small size of the fruit) can get 6 or 7 ft high and need a root system to support that. Bigger is nearly always better for tomato pots.

o

Last year I grew all kinds of peppers in five gallon buckets. I was amazed at how well they did, Just make sure you only put one plant per container. I also did some tomatoes in five gallon buckets and they did not do well. Even a couple of tomatoes I had in 12 gallon containers did not do as well as I had expected.

o

It depend on the varieties.
You can grow some peppers in 2.5, 3.0 gallon soil. Most should be fine if 5 gal. Smaller the pot, higher the frequency of watering and fertilizing.
Tomatoes, also if they are smaller DETERMINANT and bush type varieties can be grown in 5 gal. container fine. Probably they won't grow as big as if they were planted in the garden. I have seen right here (GW, thread) members grow them in 5 gal buckets. But I have also read that 8-12 gal. is more of a norm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here