Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot-in-pot technique

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 2:37

Hello all,

I have a question on Al's pot-in-pot technique. Just to clarify, is it necessary to fill in the sides in between the two pots or is that just for aesthetics? Also, I assume that every time you water the plant, you take out the potted plant, water it and drain, and then put it back in to let the soil bridge wick more water out? Thanks!

Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot-in-pot technique

Used for idea of necessity I got tired of picking up the citrus tree every time the wind blew. Filling in the sides helps prevent (and stopped) a 14 inch Terra pot with a five foot citrus from wind knock over.

Right or wrong I didn't remove inner pot from the outer pot to water when watered I watered the inner pot.
None of us are sure how to direct rain fall yet but yes pot in pot does and is very useful to wick water out.

If there is to be a draw back to the pot in pot method I did remove the inner pot at season ending to indoors only to find root from the citrus had grown into the outer pot.

I think and would agree the same root would have grown into the ground and my citrus could have frozen.

Might not be the best idea for every plant but there are more benefits than draw backs especially for wind sailed subjects of both plants and trees.

o
RE: pot-in-pot technique

Thanks for the reply.

As soon as I get some more pots, I'm gonna try the pot-on-pot method to see if I can get results.

Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here