Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to use gritty mix and when to use the 511

Posted by egyronin zone6,bk,ny (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 2:48

reading alot in here about the gritty and 511 mix.it makes total sense to me.i think this mix will work very good for me.

my question is Al talks about the 511 mix all the time but all your pics has the gritty mix in them.my containers will be out all the time till the end of the season.it seems like both mixes will hold the water all the same,right?correct me if i am wrong.maybe someone that exeperice both mix could shed some light for me.
gritty mix is super for bonsai but it be good in nyc climate to be outside?should i opt for the 511 mix.i guss the qestion is what is the main difference.help plz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to use gritty mix and when to use the 511

I use the 511 mix more since being on a roof, weight is an issue. The gritty mix lasts longer but weighs more. The 511 can be reused for up to 3 seasons. You will have to re-screen the bark to get the right size again. NYC climate is fine for outdoor use for either mix.

It's not easy finding the components for either mix in the city. If you find a good source for any of the components, please post.

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardenblog

o

5-1-1 is easier to make, lighter in weight, holds more moisture for Summer season gardening, and is more economical than many other pre-bagged mixes.

For tomatoes and peppers, I use the 5-1-1 almost exclusively.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 13:25

I use the gritty mix for almost everything I expect to be in the same soil for 2 or more years - mostly all my houseplants, succulents, bonsai, and material I'm growing on as future bonsai. I use the 5:1:1 mix for things I expect to be in the same soil for 1 or 2 seasons only. That would be mostly veggies and mixed floral display containers, but some really vigorous perennial material (tropical hibiscus, datura/brugmansia ....) also get potted in the 5:1:1 mix.

Al

o

nycgarden and greenman thankx for answering.the weight issue is a good point never thought about.i ll post the sources once i got everything.nycgarden the rooftop's 2012 pics is nice.i live in bk let me kno if u need an extra hand prepping for the new season.really.

tapala now i got it.i could see why is it easy to prefer the gritty over the 511 mix..if the weight not an issue.i ll start with the 511 and later i will switch slowly to the gritty.thankx Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here