Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coppicing mulberries in containers

Posted by onafixedincome z8-9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 4:05

I'm working on a practical research project, which involves planting about a hundred mulberry trees of various cultivars in containers and expecting them to stay there, survive, and produce mega foliage for fodder over the course of 10-15 years.

I need you guys' help! What size pot is going to work best (I need the smallest reasonable size--am thinking 18x18x24 inches deep) to support a 'tree' whose trunk will stand perhaps 18" tall...but which has pollarded/coppiced knobs in a candelabra style framework for maximum new branch production. What substrate and fertilizer regimen is most likely to give me what I need?

This type of production is done in-ground in many places for silkworm fodder, but my premise is that it can be done with excellent yield results in containers. I anticipate harvesting each tree's production half-at-a-time, with about 4-6 harvests per year, per tree. The idea is to have large, lush leaf production on vigorous new branches as often as possible.

I'm thinking that the 18" square, 24" deep pots, set in plastic trays to prevent ground access by enthusiastic roots, may work the best for what I have in mind...

Your input is MOST appreciated, and I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coppicing mulberries in containers

"premise is that it can be done with excellent [better] yield results in containers"

You should test your premise before committing to 100 tree containers.

I'd guess that trees would produce much more in the ground than a container. And trees in containers that "small" would need a lot of TLC with precise watering, precise fertilizing, precise mix, ...

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 18:15

..... and regular repotting (repotting is more involved than potting up, and includes root pruning). For producing biomass, bigger (containers) is better; and unless you have significant native soil issues, trees in the ground will perform much better with less effort on your part.

What you can or should use for a medium ultimately depends on several as yet undefined factors. Your fertilizer should probably be something close to a 3:1:2 ratio (different than NPK %s).

Al

o

Interesting thread as i will try growing mulberry plant in container as well starting of with 1 or 2 this season.
I grow figs in containers so will try this as well.

Tapla where you been ? ; )

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 12:13

Hi there! figs & mulberries are very closely related - both in the family Moraceae. You can treat the entire Morus genus like you do F carica.

I've been busy .... and we have a new puppy, which seems to take more time than I remember. ;-)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here