Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bale of straw as filler?

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 8:02

I'm thinking of using a metal or poly stocktank as a veggie container. I don't like the idea of filling it with Styrofoam, to take up space, but was thinking of using a bale of straw. Anyone ever try that?
And also.......have any of you used a stocktank (metal or poly) and only kept the drain plug open for drainage, without drilling other holes in it?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bale of straw as filler?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 18:01

Skip the straw, there will be multiple problems associated with it. Use old buckets turned upside down, empty milk crates overturned and covered with plastic, large plastic pots turned upside down - anything that will take up room w/o rotting.

If you use only the drain hole for your drainage, the tank will need to be off level so water naturally moves toward the drain. You'll need to cover the drain hole with a coarse mesh, like the plastic canvass used for needlepoint projects (hobby shops). Also, I'd dig a small dry well under the drain and fill it with a bag of peastone to help ensure drainage. The one think you don't want to do is start over or give up because your drainage is poor.

Al

o

Thanks tapla.........sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.
I have a drainage question, but will start a new post for that.
Thanks again.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:57

I forgot to mention that if you use the dry well, make sure there is a wick in place that goes from the bottom of the trough, through the dry well, and contacts the soil under the drywell.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here