Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping a hot container cool?

Posted by thahalibut Z-9 CA SSZ-9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 8:40

I remember seeing somewhere, I cant remember where & google isnt helping that you can keep the soil & roots cooler by putting bubble wrap lining the inside of the pot. Would this work or is there a better way when there is no avoiding the pot getting really hot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping a hot container cool?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 10:02

Using light colored containers, shading containers, double potting & filling the space between the containers with an absorbent material you can moisten daily to take advantage of evaporative cooling (the second container also shades the container you're growing in), are all good ways to help keep soil temps down. Bubble wrap slows the transfer of heat, but it also helps to keep heat IN, once the soil has warmed, so it would be less effective than any of the other tips I offered.

Partially burying your veggie containers or 'non-display' type containers would also be helpful because it would employ the earth to help keep soil temps down.

Al

o
RE: Keeping a hot container cool?

Everything that Al said, plus painting containers to make them light-colored.
In some situations, you might also want to elevate your containers to allow
air circulation beneath them - especially if sitting on a hot deck/pavement/patio.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here