Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idea for metal stocktank drainage?

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:30

I have a 4'Lx2'Hx2'W metal (galvanized) stocktank that I'm thinking about filling with soil and growing a bunch of lettuces in.
I just don't want to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom........since I'm not sure this system will work out, and I'd hate to lose its function as a stocktank.

I was thinking of this.......
There is already one drain port for the stocktank. Is there a way I could fashion some sort of pvc tubing design in the bottom of it that would drain out that hole? I would have to drill holes in the PVC tubing. I thought maybe I could make several rows of this PVC tubing that would be connected then to the drain hole that's already in the stocktank.

Is this a reasonable idea? Any others that don't involved drilling more holes in the actual tank?
Thanks.

This post was edited by catherinet on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 8:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idea for metal stocktank drainage?

Because you only need about 6 to 8 inches of soil for lettuce, maybe your best bet would be to put in a false bottom with holes that would drain into the void below and exit through the bung.

o

I have a 4'Lx2"Hx2"W metal (galvanized) stocktank that I'm thinking about filling with soil and growing a bunch of lettuces in.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is that a "TANK",? 2" H, 2"W???

But at any rate, container has to have drainage, UNLESS you are planting something that loves its root to be in water, LIKE RICE plant, water lilies,... water cress, etc

o

hahaha.........that wouldn't be much of a container, would it?
I fixed it.
Beach bums........thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here