Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damonkey007

My Fertigation Setup

DaMonkey007
12 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,

I was recently having a conversation with the infamous Meyer Mike, he asked me in passing how I was going about my fertigation. I proceed to tell him the story about how I came to this end. I realized afterwards that it really is a pretty good idea and a pretty good story, and I thought that I would share it. Hopefully some of you might find it interesting and useful! Here it goes:

It just kinda came to me, it was like "meant to be". I had a bunch of those 1 quart spray bottles around for cleaning up and what not. One day, a bottle was on the counter next to some empty beer bottles, soda cans, and a 2 liter soda bottle, ready to go to the recycle bin. The 2 liter cap happened to be off and laying next to the spray bottle. I looked at it, tilted me head, and an idea was born! I tried the cap and it fit, so I busted out the drill. I drilled a bunch of small holes in the cap and a vent hole at the top of the spray bottle...and viola!

The next part of the equation came a few days after that, when I found myself walking back and forth, lugging these bottles everywhere two at a time. I have to give all the credit on this part to beer!! Yes, beer! I had run out and went to the store to grab a few more hoppy adult beverages, I was carrying them out to the car in one of those little hand held bins, I looked down, saw all the bottles lined up in there......and I knew that my idea was coming full circle. I can tell you my friends, that the IPA's were extra tasty that day......LOL! I like this setup because the 1 quart bottles are so easy to manipulate, can get in tight spaces, and the water comes out nice and slow. Here's what the finished product looks like!

{{gwi:4973}}

The last piece of the puzzle came a few days later, after I had been adding the MG powder in really small quantities to the bottles directly. This was not very effective, specifically when trying to dilute down to like 1/8 strength. It was very cumbersome and inefficient, to say the least. Once again, the light bulb just kinda went off. I had this 5 gal igloo sitting in the closet with the rest of my tailgating gear. Sometimes I make 5 gallons of some mixed drink and bring it to football games....GO CANES....5 gallons of boose...woo hoo! Our tailgates rule. So anywho, I make 5 gallons of full strength MG in the igloo cooler. I dispense as needed to the appropriate dilution line on the bottle, then top it off with water to achieve my desired fertigation concentration. Yay me!

{{gwi:4975}}

So like I said, I thought that this is a pretty good story, and a darn good idea, and I wanted to share it with you all! Have a great weekend everyone!

PJ

Comments (7)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, it looks great! :-)

If I use a container for fertilizer, I always label it "Fertilizer."

So...how'd you acquire the red basket? ;-)

Josh

• buzzsaw8
    12 years ago

Awesome idea! I've been using a medicine dropper to measure how much nutrients to add to each full watering can, definitely switching over to this method.

• DaMonkey007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey guys! Thanks for your replies!

Josh,
    LOL...I'm not proud to tell you that I aquired the red basket via the five finger discount....HAH! Good point on the labeling, I'll bust out the sharpies!

Buzzsaw,
    Thank you! I thought that there might be a few folks out there that would appreciate it, I'm glad that I could help!! By all means, let me know if you improve on it!

Cheers!

PJ

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    12 years ago

That igloo is a great idea. The quart bottles could be a nice addition for tight spaces - great idea again. I also premix but keep it in costco 5 quart laundry detergent dispenser. It has has nice push button dispenser. I also use the detergent measuring cup for large amounts and a nyquil cup for small amounts.

My wife thinks I am crazy when I said I need three of the fast food ketchup dispensers for my NPK setup. LOL.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

so let me ask the first question that came to me and excuse me if it sounds dumb. How long is a premixed solution of miracle grow and any other fert good for? I guess if properly sealed for a long time, right?

Mike

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    12 years ago

Chemical fertilizers should last for a long time in raw and diluted form. Someone more knowledgeable with chemistry of the components may know better whether they slowly react with each other or not. I doubt MG and others will deteriorate.

Organic fertilizers may be a different story though since they are derived from things that deteriorate anyway.

• DaMonkey007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys!
    Thanks again! I'm so glad that you found this helpful and interesting!

Tropic,
    Great minds think alike!! LOL. Nice call on the detergent/nyquill dispensers! The quart bottles are nice because they have the fill lines on them already, which eliminates the need for a second measuring device. I also use the quart bottles as a solution measure for my 2 gal watering can when I use it, dual duties!

Mike,
    I generally run through the igloo pretty quickly, a week to 10 days or so, and the top never comes off during that period. I don't have an exact scientific answer you, but I don't think that the nutrients will suffer any, I mean, there are all kinds of pre-mixed stuff on store shelves, right? As for the water, my thoughts are, if rain water can sit around in a 55 gal rain barrel for weeks on end and be ok for plants, tap water in a sealed igloo for a few days certainly can't hurt either.

Definitly do not add the vinegar, if you use it, to the pre mixed solution though, add that as you go...

PJ