Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Recommendations

Posted by Celk 57108 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 10:31

I'm looking for recommendations on great pots to buy for large containers of geraniums for our summer cabin. I like the brightly colored lighter weight containers, but are they as durable as clay pots and do the geraniums grow as well in these pots as clay pots?

Also looking for a unique flowering plant to compliment the red geranium. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Recommendations

Well mine did fantastic!

I used huge clay looking containers I bought at AJ Wrights on sale for 12 dollars. They can be very beautiful.

I also used a 5.1.1 mix since I only planned on growing them for one season.

When you mean a flower to compliment, are you asking for an annual?

o
RE: Container Recommendations

If you're only growing annuals in them, I don't think it matters much whether you use unglazed clay pots, or pots made of plastic or other non-permeable material. To me, it's the medium that's more important.

I prefer the unglazed clay, myself... for both its aesthetic appeal and its permeable nature... but I use terra cotta pots mainly to grow plants that aren't annual, and will need to remain in the pots for longer than a single season.

Terra cotta pots are heavier, and will crack if left out over winter... so you may want to consider where they'll be placed, and whether or not you can store them. And because they breathe, they'll need to be watered more often than plastic pots. Will you be available to water as needed?

For any plant, a terra cotta pot would be healthier, in my opinion... but there are variables to consider.

As for companion plants... you're really not locked into annuals. You could go with perennials just as easily. I'd plant whatever strikes your fancy. I like to mix annuals and perennials for seasonal plantings.

You could use any sun loving annual or perennial along with Geraniums, and today's choices at most garden centers are quite varied. Ornamental grasses, vining plants... the sky's the limit.

Some years I go with the standard mix of Geraniums, a Spike plant, and a few trailers... and other years I opt for a more eye catching mix of annuals and perennials, such as Daylilies, Sweet Potato vines, Petunias, an Ornamental grass... this year I'm thinking of going with Alocacia for my large patio pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here