Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon Trellis

Posted by johnweh 10-SE FL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 10:35

I'm starting some sugar baby watermelon seeds today. They will be planted in 6 1/2 gal pots with a trellis. How high above the soil should the trellis be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon Trellis

I grew four sugar baby bush watermelons in a 30 gallon wooden half whiskey barrel last summer. I don't know whether sugar baby and sugar baby bush are the same variety. In any case, I used a 3 foot high wooden trellis from Home Depot and fastened it to the sides of wooden barrel to keep it steady. Each plant produced a couple fruits, but I cut off all but the best because even sugar babies need a lot of water and fertilizer and soil to produce well. I used cheese cloth and old panty hose to create slings to hold the fruit on the trellis. They were probably about five pounds each when ripe and needed to be tied to the trellis long before that or the vines would have torn. The trellis was large enough even though the vines were about five feet long. But with the small pot you are using, you would need to secure a really strong trellis outside the pot or your plant will fall over in the wind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here