Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Using a stock tank for veggie garden?

I was given a stock tank to use as a raised garden. I was hoping to use it for veggies, like squash, but my friends on the Texas Garden Forum think the metal will get too hot in the Texas sun and fry the plants. It is 3 ft. wide and about 2 ft. high. Here is a picture:

{{gwi:5001}}

I'd like to get the opinion of those with experience in container gardening. I can always move it to a shady spot under trees and use it for ornamentals.

Comments (7)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Paint it white or put it in the shade and you should be fine.

Al

• terrybull
    14 years ago

make sure of a drainage hole, you can also use white plastic as a mulch cover like a earthbox cover.

• bayoufilter
    14 years ago

It is the beginning of a beautiful raised garden! Guarantee drainage, and your plants will reward you for giving them 2 feet of "legroom."
    Your squash could even provide some of the shade... Have you thought of adding corn and beans? There wouldn't be enough corn for pollination, but the beans would appreciate the stalks to grab on to.
    I just picked up two 5-foot-wide stock tanks for veggies, but have to wait til payday to fill them.
    8-)
    Rick

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your encouragment!

One more thing; the site below says:

"Line the tank with plastic sheeting to prevent zinc from leaching into the soil. Large amounts of zinc in your soil can inhibit plant growth. After lining, make sure to puncture drainage holes into the plastic as well."

Do you feel this is necessary? While the one I have has not been used, as you can see the tank has sat out in the weather for a while and started to rust inside. Do you think there is enough zinc left to harm the soil?

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a Stock Tank for Garden -- eHow

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

If you see rust (from the metal inside), then the zinc-coating in that area is gone.
    I doubt you'll have an issue...but you can always take precautions.

Josh

• terrybull
    14 years ago

you can grow corn in that without a problem. 24 plants plus beans. the only problem would be from wind and staking them would be easy.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since you've been kind enough to reply to my questions I thought I'd show you how we finally decided to place the stock tank to use for veggies in my 'mostly flower' garden.

Dear Hubby drilling holes in the bottom ...

{{gwi:5002}}

Filled and waiting for planting dates to arrive ...

{{gwi:5003}}