Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting soil mess

Posted by pabrocb Sarasota 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 10:51

I put pots of annuals out on the pool pavers for the winter and it became a big mess. I used regular bagged potting soil and it floated up and out and down and out. Now we have weed fields where the soil settled. I've removed the pots and transplanted the plants in the yard, and I'm cleaning up the mess.

It looked nice while it lasted. It gave the patio area color and interest and I could bring the smaller pots indoors when the nights became too cold.

There must be simple solutions to this problem. I remember someone saying they used coffee filters on the bottom of the pot. Window screen? Mulch on top or rocks to hold the soil in?

Carol B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting soil mess

Didn't your pots have drain holes?

o

Jane NY, yes. I used normal clay pots with drain holes and clay plates underneath. But the dirt still came out the bottom and overflowed the top and collected on the patio. That gave the weeds something to grow in.

Maybe I have to use more care when watering.

I just thought there was something simple to do.

The very large pots I used for elephant ears did not flood or come out the bottom.

Carol

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 20:50

Fiberglass window screen is very inexpensive & works very well to keep soil from washing out of the drain holes. Plastic canvas (used for needlepoint projects - hobby stores) works great, too:
Photobucket

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here