Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filix_gw

Spray-n-grow any good?

filix
13 years ago

Someone gave me a brand new bottle of spray and grow. Is this stuff any good? I read up a little on it. Most people seem to like it. But a few people said they sprayed their plants with it and they died. That doesn't make me feel good. filix.

Comments (10)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I'm @ wk & didn't have time to chase down the analysis, but I'm always very sceptical of products like Eleanor's VF-11, Superthrive, and others that make all kinds of big promises w/o telling you how they intend to deliver (no analysis on their site that I can find).

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hey Felix!

From my experience:

I lost a few plants to rot and mold on the leaves, along with rust. I found it very unreliable for nutrition through the leaves and it has sat on my shelves for over 3 years serving no use.

That stuff has stained my jade and other succulents plants, rotted the buds on my gardenias and caused rust spots, caused mold on my roses, and killed a many of my violets and never helped my citrus grow at all.

I am not sure if certain plants can not handle certain products, but many of mine could not handle this stuff.

It may work for many others, but Felix, I just wanted to not withhold the negative impacts it had on my plants.

I also saw no sigificant growth, any different if I had not used the stuff at all. Now we wait for teh positive feed back from others if there is any other than from anyone who sells the product, which I have seen before somewhere..

Mike;-))

• filix
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al and Mike! I want to get a good source of micronutriants for my blueberries in raised beds. I was thinking of going with Earth Juice "micro blast" What do ya think? filix

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I've used Microblast and have been pleased with the results.

• filix
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thankyou rhizo. If you liked it, thats good enough for me. Thankyou very much. filix

13 years ago

Hmmmm ..... I remember typing out a reply to your last question soon after you posted it, but it looks like it never made it to the thread. (Keyboard) operator error, no doubt. ;o)

Microblast will work fine, but I think STEM or Micromax would be a better choice. STEM is soluble, Micromax is not. Either would be much less expensive per application in the long run than Microblast, but the initial purchase of 50 lbs usually hovers at around a $100 problem. Let me know if you'd like to try either & I'll hook you up.

Al

• filix
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al. I was thinking of either micromax or stem. I wish they sold that stuff in smaller bags. Like 25lbs. I should just bite the bullet and buy some. filix.

• catsnotdogs
    12 years ago

I've read what others have said here. I can say from experience-this stuff is the best! I've been using it since about 1990. It's not a fertilizer. As the company says, it's a micronutrient. It helps plants take up nutrients. It seems to work better on tender plants like perennials (flowers, tomatoes (especially!), garden vegetables). You can spray it on woody plants during the winter. Try it and you'll see. It's especially great for organic gardeners. Non-toxic and safe for the environment. It's approved for truly organic use. I promise I do not work for them-I'm just a gardener.

• cara_567
    10 years ago

I've used Spray-N-Grow for years and the stuff works. Here's the key - make sure you don't use it in a sprayer from last season that held herbicides. I take a waterproof marker and write on my sprayers to make sure this NEVER happens.

10 years ago

{{gwi:5035}}
    Analysis of the product "Spray & Grow" shows it contains only

.1% Fe
    .05% Z
    45 ppm nickel
    .12 ppm Co (essentially none)

So .... nothing at all to shout about. It contains no NPK, Ca, Mg, S, Cu, Bo, Mn,

It also contains lead, arsenic, mercury, cadmium, and selenium. From a chemical perspective, and based on its analysis, it's pretty much useless. It's very unusual for a Fe or Z deficiency to develop if you're using a soluble fertilizer, unless the pH of the soil/soil, solution is quite high, in which case a little white vinegar added to the irrigation water would almost certainly be more effective.

Al

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz