Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting Mix

Posted by gcotterl riverside calif (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 12:10

Where can I buy a pre-packaged potting mix (like Al's Gritty Mix, Fafard's 51L or Fafard's 52) in Southern California? (I live in Riverside CA; 60 miles east of Los Angeles).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting Mix

Why not just make the Gritty? Sure it's extra effort, but it's more satisfying and beneficial for both you and the plants.

o

Some nurseries have selection beyond what the big box stores carry. Also, Ozbo.com can be a good source and they have a flat rate shipping.

o

I don't think Farfard's is distributed in California, although I hope someone will chime in and show me I'm wrong. I'd like to try a couple of their products, too.

If I were in SoCal, I'd look into americanhort.com, a wholesaler. They carry Berger's BM-6 and Sunshine Mix 4, both of which sound close. Otherwise, check in at your locally-owned nursery or hydroponics store, and let them know you're looking for something highly porous and/or bark-based, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

I've gotten great results from ProMix soils (either HP out of the bag or BX amended with perlite). They are fine and moisture retentive though, very different from the 5-1-1. But they are easier to source and require no preparation and less watering, leaving me more time to focus on the garden tasks that I find more fulfilling than screening substrate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here