Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alieliza

Good Plants/Flowers for Small Pots

alieliza
16 years ago

I posted in the orchids section about my desire to buy potted orchids for my July 2010 wedding to use as centerpieces, but I am quickly realizing that this could become more expensive than I bargained for.

My newest idea is to grow potted flowers and plants (possibly herbs) to group on the tables as centerpieces.

I understand, though, that many flowers will not grow to a size that they will bloom in such a small pot (a 4" pot).

I know you can buy flats of, say, petunias in bloom, so they might be a good option...

What other plants/flowers/herbs would you recommend for small pots (that would look beautiful grouped together as a wedding centerpiece)?

PS. I understand that I am taking a great risk expecting to grow the flowers myself....Both my fiance and I are gardeners, as well as both of my parents. I am willing to take my chances with supplementing the ones that don't work out with potted plants bought from a nursery (ie, flats of petunias, or something of the like, that I can divide up and plant in various pots...)

I will definitely look for "dwarf" varieties, and petunias are on our list, but what other plants are available "dwarf"?

Let me also mention the colors we are thinking:

White

Green

Dark Blue

Dark Purple

I had originally wanted to do just white and green, but I think that dark blue and/or dark purple will be a nice accent color, and will add some interest to the centerpieces.

Let me add some questions:

Will the following flowers work in containers??

Gardenia

Anemone

Dahlia

Gerbera Daisy

Cosmos

Im not sure that I necessarily want tall flowers, like some of the ones mentioned above (Cosmos, Daisy, Anemone) but they are some options.

Thanks!

Comments (2)