Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, narrow pot

Posted by schifferle 5b NE Kansas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 12:24

I impulse bought a tall, narrow ceramic pot for the front of my house. It wasn't until I got it home that I got to wondering how to plant flowers in it. It's a waste of potting soil to fill it up with annuals whose roots won't go very far down. If I plant them in a smaller pot & sit the pot inside the ceramic pot, I have the problem of what to use to keep it raised up. I always see photos in magazines of flowers in similar containers, but they never mention how they plant in them, just what they plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, narrow pot

• Posted by adamark 5/6 W subs Chicago (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 0:44

I have a few of those. I put the smaller container inside. Make sure it is the same size at the top. Some of them "hang" within the larger ones. So, I don't have to fill those huge pots with potting soil. Also, I was able to keep my very nice ceramic pots (with "fake" Christmas trees)and no poting soil through the winter - and no breaks. So far, so good...

o

I've placed several empty aluminum soda cans (with non-crinkled sides), upside down, and put a simple mesh on top. Then the soil sits on that to reduce the volume. The cans hold a tremendous amount of weight. But I don't know if the cans are tall enough for your pot.

o

In the past, I've used those packing peanuts to help fill up volume. However, I've heard mention of empty water / soda bottles used in the container, and that would be my method if I had a large container to pot.

Josh

o

I have a few tall containers, not because the plants in them will likely send roots to the bottom, but because the container fits the location. Yes I paid quite a lot extra for the tall decorated containers. Because I feel strongly that the mix in any container should not vary in composition from the top to the bottom, I am willing to spend the buck or two extra for the correct mix in the right amount to fill the container. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here