Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to veggies and need advice

Posted by rakin 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 12:27

This is my first year trying veggies and I want to plant some Roma tomatoes and some type of pickling cucumbers in containers. (I don' t think my raised bed gets quite enough sun for these - it faces east and gets dappled sun from 7:30ish - 9 and full sun from 9 - 1) If that's doable great. But in the meantime, I have a patio planter that is 12x12x27. Can I use that for cucumbers on a trellis? Is it deep enough for the roots? If so, how many cucumber plants can I fit comfortably in there? I am hoping to get enough to make 3-4 jars of pickles minimum. Since I don't know a thing about growing cucumbers, I don't know if that is possible with containers.
Also, I have 2 self water containers that are 16" rounds by about 24" deep. Is this okay for the Romas? I know they say to use large containers for tomatoes, but I didn't know if a small determinate would be okay for this size. I have so many questions, but I will leave it at this for the moment. Unless someone wants to throw in some advice on container grown sugar baby watermelons. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to veggies and need advice

Assuming that 12x12x27 is inches, not feet. :)

Can't help with the cucumbers but that' size will work for the Romas or any dwarfs/cherries. You could make that size work for a lot of cherry-ish indets like Sungold too if you plant them deep and water religiously.

o

I grew some cucumbers last year in five gallon buckets which I'm guessing is close to your 12 x 12 and they came out OK. I had one plant per bucket. I also did some watermelon in 12 gallon container and actually got a few medium sized ones.

o

Thanks. I guess I'm going to try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll just try again next year. Now I just need to figure out what medium I want to use. For my flowers, I would just use MG potting mix. But I am not sure if I want to do that for the veggies. I have some left over Black Kow and peat moss and a few other odds and ends, but I am still researching the best method for containers. This site has offered some great inspiration!

o

You can grow cucumber in container but need some king of trellis so the wines can cling on and climb. But I think 5 gallon is not big enough. UNLESS you plant a single per bucket. I usually plant two per hill in the ground. This helps pollination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here