Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

New to veggies and need advice

rakin
10 years ago

This is my first year trying veggies and I want to plant some Roma tomatoes and some type of pickling cucumbers in containers. (I don' t think my raised bed gets quite enough sun for these - it faces east and gets dappled sun from 7:30ish - 9 and full sun from 9 - 1) If that's doable great. But in the meantime, I have a patio planter that is 12x12x27. Can I use that for cucumbers on a trellis? Is it deep enough for the roots? If so, how many cucumber plants can I fit comfortably in there? I am hoping to get enough to make 3-4 jars of pickles minimum. Since I don't know a thing about growing cucumbers, I don't know if that is possible with containers.
Also, I have 2 self water containers that are 16" rounds by about 24" deep. Is this okay for the Romas? I know they say to use large containers for tomatoes, but I didn't know if a small determinate would be okay for this size. I have so many questions, but I will leave it at this for the moment. Unless someone wants to throw in some advice on container grown sugar baby watermelons. :-)

Comments (4)