Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelty2

Lasagna gardening in containers

chelty2
17 years ago

Another newbie question.....is lasagna layering recommended for containers?

If so, would anyone mind sharing his/her recipe?

Thanks for your time and help. I will appreciate any suggestions.

chelty2

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

No reason for it in containers. Plus, a container environment works in a completely different manner than a healthy, working, 'in situ' soil system.

Without going into a great deal of detail, the biological processes that make a lasagne system so successful in the soil aren't present in a container, nor do we want them to be.

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

Agree with Rhizo. Lasagna is very successful in soil, but it doesn't really work in containers for a number of reasons.

One reason is there is generally no soil in containers, the second is that even if there was soil in the container, it would be subject to radical changes in temperature and moisture that don't occur in the soil.

Lasagna is organic in nature and organics is completely dependent upon soil and the organisms dwelling in/on it. Container gardening doesn't use soil nor does it rely upon the organisms that dwell in soil.

Think of it this way: In soil one can feed the soil so that it feeds the plants. In containers one can't. We must feed the plants. Even if we wanted to feed the container soil it would be a pointless exercise as most toss out the container soil in a year or two. Most soil gardeners report it takes 5-7 years of working their soil to get it into ideal shape. Virtually nobody keeps container soils that long before replacing.

• chelty2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies. I now understand why this medium does not work and will stick with a potting mix.

• recluse
    17 years ago

I use large wooden boxes (interior dimensions 32"x32"x32") to compost. In two of them, I add greens and browns and do the usual turning each week to 10 days. In the other one, I pile all the fall leaves I can gather, and they decompose there.

These boxes work fine for composting, and with the right ingredients, I don't see why lasagna (sheet composting) wouldn't work in them.

So, this year I decided to try it.

I got a shorter box (32"x32"x13") and added sticks to the bottom to allow water to drain through the gaps in the wooden floor without losing all the soil (laid sticks perpendicular to gaps in floor).

Next I added 2" of torn cardboard (to hold the soil without impeding water drain),
    then about 2" of soil and worms (that were in that soil),
    then a 1/2" - 1" layer of chopped veggies (from grocery store discards),
    then a 2" layer of horse manure (all chunks and lumps broken up and separated),
    then a 1" - 2" layer of partially composted leaves,
    then a 2" layer of horse manure (broken and separated),
    then a 1/2" layer of coffee grounds,
    then a 1" layer of chopped, easily digested veggies (lettuce, delicate greens),
    then topped with a layer of partially decomposed leaves.

I watered between layers except for the veggie layers, then covered it with black plastic. I will add fully mature compost and worm castings to each planting hole and see how it goes this summer. (I may add a 2" layer of potting mix to the top as the level drops , not sure about this yet.)

Hoping it will work. I figure, if OM will compost in these boxes, why wouldn't plants grow in it (I get volunteer tomato plants growing in my compost as it ages). I don't see why it wouldn't but it could prove me wrong.

I don't plan on ever dumping these boxes (I have 4, 2 have a different mix but still OM), and will add OM to them as needed, just as I do with my raised beds.

Good luck to any who try it.

• Jim Willeford
    4 years ago

Containers work if we include a lot leaf mold, for water retention, compost and a top mulch. I have both lasagne beds and containers.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

well, that post from recluse was a dozen years old ... wonder IF it worked