Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

How do you guys shade the pot?

maple_grove_gw
12 years ago

It's starting to feel like spring's just around the corner, and that's got me making plans for the summer container garden.

I've got a question I'd like to ask everybody here, so please chime in. It's regarding a problem I'm sure you're familiar with. I've got this plant in a pot. Call it a pine. Actually, call it 50-100 dwarf conifers in black pots. Anyway, the plant needs full sun. The pot is black. What to do?

I'm thinking about ways to provide shade for the pots to avoid cooking the roots. And since there is a large number of them, a one size fits all solution is desired.

So, I'm thinking about buying shade cloth and stapling it to wooden stakes surrounding the plants, which would be set on a pallet or other similar support. If the pots all have the same dimensions, then the shade cloth could be cut to a height tall enough to block the pots but not the foliage. I'm considering buying 90% shade cloth. Seems like it will do the trick, but there is a modest expense involved.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here tried this? Do you have any suggestions? How about alternative ideas? I know there must be a better (easier? simpler?) solution, but I can't think of it. What do you think?

Alex

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner