Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you guys shade the pot?

Posted by maple_grove 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 12:39

It's starting to feel like spring's just around the corner, and that's got me making plans for the summer container garden.

I've got a question I'd like to ask everybody here, so please chime in. It's regarding a problem I'm sure you're familiar with. I've got this plant in a pot. Call it a pine. Actually, call it 50-100 dwarf conifers in black pots. Anyway, the plant needs full sun. The pot is black. What to do?

I'm thinking about ways to provide shade for the pots to avoid cooking the roots. And since there is a large number of them, a one size fits all solution is desired.

So, I'm thinking about buying shade cloth and stapling it to wooden stakes surrounding the plants, which would be set on a pallet or other similar support. If the pots all have the same dimensions, then the shade cloth could be cut to a height tall enough to block the pots but not the foliage. I'm considering buying 90% shade cloth. Seems like it will do the trick, but there is a modest expense involved.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here tried this? Do you have any suggestions? How about alternative ideas? I know there must be a better (easier? simpler?) solution, but I can't think of it. What do you think?

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you guys shade the pot?

I use a bed of mulch and bury the pots in them. Depending on your situation it may not be suitable alternative though.

I have a small about 8x10 ft area which is about a foot deep mulch. I order in bulk. 2 yards delivered is about $70 and I order it every two years. Use some to replenish the bed and save the rest in a pile for later use. The plants do very well and sometimes too well. Reduces watering frequency and keeps the pots cool. And it is a pretty flexible with different pot sizes too.

o
RE: How do you guys shade the pot?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 13:59

Paint the pots white - lean scrap lumber against the south sides of the pot, shade with landscape fabric, slip-pot and fill in around the sides with bark you can wet daily, partially bury the pots in soil (turns them into raised beds), wrap with aluminum foil ......

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here