Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captiveroots

Container Garden Experiment Results (Yield per container

captiveroots
11 years ago

Here are the results of my container garden experiment. I grew many types of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, okra, and a lot more in various sizes of planters last summer and kept track of all fruit we harvested.

If you're looking for data on what type of yield to expect given a certain planting situation, hopefully this will help! I am also pretty active on there posting pictures, experiences, etc. if anyone is interested.

The link is included below:

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the results chart

Comments (7)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

That's very informative and impressive. Thanks for sharing. I grow many of the same vegetables in containers. For the first time last summer, I grew my heirloom tomatoes with only one per 25 gallon container. Since I only have six containers for tomatoes, it was very hard not to grow my usual three per pot. But I definitely had much better yield per plant and a lot less disease. Eggplants and peppers don't seem to mind a little crowding, but big beefsteak types need a lot of room (and food) to produce well.

• afishlady
    11 years ago

Lots of neat pictures and information. You have done a lot with a sunny porch- I hope my in ground garden does half as well! Thanks for the tips.

• marc5
    11 years ago

Thanks, CR. Can you tell more about the mix you used in the containers? Fertilizer?

Thanks

• emgardener
    11 years ago

Check his April 2012 post. Sta-Green potting mix. Miracle Grow fertilizer.

• captiveroots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did use Miracle Grow fertilizer at first, but then I switched over to Tomato Tone and I liked it a lot better.

For one thing, the Tomato Tone seemed to lead to a massive growth spurt. Also, (I'm not sure if this was due to the Tomato Tone or not) but when I started using Tomato Tone the problems with Blossom End Rot pretty much went away. I was losing peppers and tomatoes left and right before that.

As far as the dirt, I used the Sta Green primarily because it was relatively light (we live in an upstairs apartment so it all has to go out on the porch) and seemed to have a good consistency. I liked the results, so I will probably use it again this year.

• captiveroots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am adding two neat things to the garden this year: a prickly pear cactus and a meyer lemon! I'll be blogging quite a bit about those things this spring, as well as the normal garden stuff!

• captiveroots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I revamped my seedling table and posted some pictures if anyone is interested. I'm currently working on getting a prickly pear cutting, which will hopefully be the subject of a post in the relatively near future.

Here is a link that might be useful: New seedling table setup