Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Got Perlite?

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

I went to Lowes today to buy pine bark and perlite to add to the peat moss I already own so that I could make the 5:1:1 mix.
After spending 20 minutes wandering inside and out, and filling my cart with more plants than I care to admit to, I still couldn't find the perlite anywhere.
I asked an employee outside, they said, "Perlite? I don't think we... MERLE! Do we have something called perlite?" (It wasn't really "Merle," that's just the name I use when telling a story where one employee yells to another employee). "Merle" said to check the inside garden area. So I did, and they didn't know what it was in there, either. I'm tellin' ya, we've got the worst Lowes!
After I left, with my car too stuffed with foliage to turn around and go back, I had a little memory. I think...
Is perlite the white stuff we were told to use UNDER the above-ground pool liner at my last house? If so, back then we were told in the pool-supplies area to get it from the gardening area. Maybe now it's in the pool area??? What gives?
I'll go to Home Depot this afternoon and test their knowledge. I need more pots now anyways.

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

That's a new Lowe.... ;-)

Perlite should be in the same general area as orchid mix, potting mix, et cetera. Outside, it is often stored near the bark, gravel, builder's sand.

Josh

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was in all those areas. I even bought Orchid bark and Pine bark mini mulch today. It wasn't there. *Sigh*

• nycgarden
    11 years ago

After paying way too much for those small 8 and 16 qt bags in years past, I'm going to try this online retailer:

www.greenhousemegastore.com

I looked around and didn't find a better price. If someone has a better vendor, please post.

Link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.greenhousemegastore.com/

• perelaj
    11 years ago

Last year, I looked for perlite at my Lowes and Home Depot, but I only found small bags that were over-priced. I looked on the internet, too, but the shipping costs were always prohibitive. Then I called around to some of the locally-owned nurseries in my area, and I found one place that sells a 6 cubic foot bag of perlite for around $36. It was a good price, and I was happy to give my money to a local business instead of a mega-store. Nurseries who make their own potting mix probably buy perlite in large quantities, and they might be willing to sell you a bag at a decent price.

• dg
    11 years ago

Shipping is too expensive for me. Great price for such a large bag, though.

You can check to see if a Home Depot in your area has it in stock.
    In the link below click
    "Check Store Inventory +"
    located under "Buy on line, pick up in store today"

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: homedepot perlite

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll look into it, Perlaj... the shipping from greenhousemegastore.com to my house was more than the cost of the actual product.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

Shear -

All of my big box stores around here carry the smaller bags of perlite inside the store, not in the gardening center. Wherever you find the smaller bags of soil (Miracle-Gro, etc.) is where the perlite is. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a large bag of perlite anywhere in those big box stores.

Alternatively, any Lowes should be able to order this in for you if you give them the item #: 156581 : Model #: 74278300

Link to the Lowes page for the MG Perlite is below. You may need a lot more, I suppose...? It's a start!

But it is pretty overpriced and I have to think I can get a better deal elsewhere locally -- but have yet to source something like that. Given my lack of real space in which to garden, paying a bit more for it is worthwhile not to store the large bags.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes MG Perlite

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sugi. I'll take that information to Lowes and pray they know how to use their computer system. LOL!
    I'm willing to pay for convenience, too. I don't need very many bags that size and don't want to store 'extra.'
    Thanks again for looking up the item and model #'s!

• abnorm
    11 years ago

Shear .....you're in Titusville right ?

All the Orlando Hydroponic stores as well as Palmer Feed and Seed (Downtown) have the GRACE Coarse 4 cu ft bags for similar prices......It's always the shipping!!!!!

Drop me an e-mail via my name/profile

doug

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Sunshine Online Perlite

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm