Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird container advice

Posted by kd-did 6 WNC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 13:15

Weird container is a couple of large legal size filing cabinets I found really cheap in a junk yard. Hadn't even thought about making them SWC until I found this forum and now I'm slightly obsessed with trying to do it and am trying to modify the instructions for the Earth Tainer to suit this larger format.
I'm thinking of using a pondliner cut to fit the lower 8-12" portion of the file case - (which has its drawers removed and is lying on its back, drawer openings skyward), cutting some plastic buckets down to make a support for the grid/separator, that I'm considering creating from that plastic trellis material covered with a landscape fabric to keep the soil above and then pond plant containers to hold the soil wicks.

Am I crazy? Are there better ideas? I love the idea of reusing these file cabinets. Here is where the idea came from:
http://baldmanmodpad.blogspot.com/2009/07/filing-planter-returns.html

Wondering if the cabinet will be too deep to allow sufficient wicking action?

BTW, thanks to this forum for the info on preventing blossom end rot on container grown tomatoes!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird container advice

Shucks! I thought for sure it was going to be weird ADVICE and not weird CONTAINER! lol

Good luck with the project, looks pretty nifty.

o

LOL! I likely have some weird advice running around inside my head (that would account for the voices?) but nope, not this time!

When I get them done, I'll try and come back and post pics. Seems like no one wants to touch this with a 10 foot pole - just my kind of project.

o

• Posted by et14 7a-VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 19:22

go for it!

What color is the filing cabinet? You want to keep an eye on how hot it gets. Maybe some plywood or thick foam board insulation.

Other than that, have fun!

o

Good idea! I haven't picked out the paint color (this small project is mushrooming up into building an area of brick patio to place them on) but that's a good idea - I sanded and primed the exterior but haven't picked a color yet - maybe go lighter in color than I was thinking...
Thanks!

o

Hello. I found that to be quite the weird container, but would look quite normal in these parts lol. The previous owner at my house actually built a raised bed for a bathtub. I don't know much about converting things into containers, but heat could be a big problem. Remember a brick patio is only gonna hold more heat. Good luck to you.

o

what a great idea. the yellow paint should do well at keeping the soil temps from rising to high.

o

That's pretty awesome! Years ago my neighbor gave me a plastic outdoor sink that we never used. I have potatoes growing in there now! Make use of what you got!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here