Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting mix questions

Posted by maple_grove 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 13:17

Hello all,

I'd like to ask you guys about which mix is optimal for my situation. I have some plants that will live temporarily in containers, say for 3-5 years, while they get bigger and until I am ready to plant them in the landscape. Call them medium-term container plants. They are mostly conifers (spruce, pine, fir, etc.) and are relatively young (1-3 year grafts), and I think they'd greatly benefit from one the potting mixes discussed here. Which mix would be more appropriate - the 5:1:1 mix, or the gritty mix? As described, they will reside in pots (for the most part, square 1 gallon rootmaker pots) for a handful of years at which time they will go into the ground and/or raised beds. Until then, the pots will reside outside spring, summer and fall and go into my garage (w/windows) during the winter.

My first choice would be to put them into the gritty mix as I think that my conifers would enjoy the superior drainage offered. My concern here, and my main question is, how easy is it to transplant from gritty mix directly into the landscape? This could be done late in the winter while they're still dormant, but that being said, would there be excessive transplant shock as the plant has to reacclimate from gritty mix to landscape soil? If so, maybe the 5:1:1 would be a better choice.

Thanks all for sharing your expertise.

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting mix questions

Alex,
I'd use 5-1-1, and I'd re-pot and bump into larger pots every year or two.
Regardless of whether you use Gritty or 5-1-1, your plants will transplant well into the landscape
if done at the proper tiem of year. Bare-rooting and planting in native soil will be no problem.

If you were planning on keeping these trees in containers, I would opt for the Gritty Mix,
with a special eye paid to root-development during the first few years.

Josh

o

Thanks, Josh, for the response. For my own edification, what is the reason you prefer 5-1-1 for a plant that will eventually go into the landscape, and gritty for one that will remain in a pot?

o

Gritty outperforms the 5-1-1 in subsequent years due to its particle size, low organic content, and durability.

The 5-1-1 is economical, easy to mix, and fantastic for a year or two (and probably longer, although you should
re-pot by that time anyway).

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here